Speaking of Ueno, is the first thing that comes to your mind the “Hanami (cherry blossom viewing)”? Or the panda baby that was born in June 2017? In fact, there are many places where you can feel the good old days of Japan. This time, we will introduce 5 must-see spots in Ueno!
Taking a stroll at the oasis in the city! Ueno Onshi Park
The park, with a total area of 530,000m2 which was once the precinct of Toeizan Kan’ei-ji during Edo period, hosts a museum, a zoo, an art gallery, etc. At the Shinobazu Pond which is famous of its swan boats, the scenert of lotus flowers surrounding the Benen-do (temple hall) in summer, looks exactly like a paradise. The park is also famous as the cherry blossom viewing spot and is selected as one of the Japan’s Top 100 Cherry Blossom Spots. In spring, people come gathering under the trees, drinking and singing cheerfully while appreciating the short life span of cherry flowers.Spot information
- Spot name: Ueno Onshi Park
- Street address:〒110-0007 Taito-ku, Ueno Koen 5-20
- Access: JR Yamanote Line / Keihin Tohoku Line / Tokyo Metro Ginza Line / Hibiya Line: 2-minute walk from Ueno Station; Keisei Main Line: 1-minute from Keisei Ueno Station
Let’s meet the KAWAII panda at Ueno Zoo♪
Located at the center of the city, the Ueno Zoo owns about 2500 animals of 350 species. Among them, the baby giant panda “Shan Shan”, who will soon turn into 1 yeat old, is gaining enormous popularity and attraction due to its loving gestures. On its birthday which is the 12th June, there will be a release of album which records its growth, as well as distribution of memorial cards and series of events. There will also be a limited menu at the restaurant in the zoo. It is full of festive mood.
- Spot name: Ueno Zoo
- Street address:〒110-8711 Tokyo, Taito-ku, Ueno Koen 9-83
- Access: Front gate: 5-minute walk from JR Ueno Station Park Gate, 10-minute walk from Keisei Ueno Station Front Gate, 12-minute walk from Tokyo Metro Ginza Line/Hibiya Line Ueno Station Exit 7, 15-minute walk from Toei Subway Oedo Line Ueno Okachimachi Station Exit A5
National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum, The Ueno Royal Museum
Each museum has its own characteristics. The National Museum of Western Art which was designed by Le Corbusier and is also a World Cultural Heritage, exhibits about 370 pieces of paintings and sculptures of modern France from the “Matsukata Collection” which were returned by French Government.
On the other hand, the Tokyo Metropolitan Art Gallery hosts workshops, etc. according to its mission as the “Entrance to Art” where children and adults can freely get in touch with worlds’ masterpieces and contemporary artists’ works. The Ueno Royal Museum is located within the Ueno Park and has gained popularity due to its unique exhibitions such as the exhibition of important cultural properties since its opening.
- Spot name: Tokyo Metropolitan Art Museum (東京都美術館)
- Street address: 〒110-0007 Tokyo, Taito-ku, Ueno Koen 8-36
- Access: JR Yamanote Line: 7-minute walk from Ueno Station Park Gate, Tokyo Metro Ginza Line/Hibiya Line: 10-minute walk from Ueno Station Exit 7, Keisei Line: 10-minute walk from Keisei Ueno Station
- Spot name: National Museum of Western Art (国立西洋美術館)
- Street address: 〒110-0007 Tokyo, Taito-ku, Ueno Koen 7-7
- Access: JR Yamanote Line: 1-minute walk from Ueno Station Park Gate, Tokyo Metro Ginza Line/Hibiya Line: 8-minute walk from Ueno Station, Keisei Line: 7-minute walk from Keisei Ueno Station
- Spot name: The Ueno Royal Museum (上野の森美術館)
- Street address: 〒110-0007 Tokyo, Taito-ku, Ueno Koen 1-2
- Access: JR Yamanote Line: 3-minute walk from Ueno Station Park Gate, Tokyo Metro Ginza Line/Hibiya Line/Keise: 5-minute walk from Ueno Station
Ameyoko where you can feel the post-war Japan
It is a shopping street underneath the overhead bridges between Okachimachi Station and Ueno Station, with approximately 400 shops along the 500m street. After the world war, the Ame Yokocho with open-air stalls selling candy combined with the America Yokocho which sold products from the States to turn into the “Ameyoko”. Now, one can get seafood, dry products, clothes, groceries and jewelry at low price here. Among them, the Nikinokashi is famous of its cheap Japanese snacks. One can enjoy eating around here as there are a rich variety of gourmets such as grilled soup dumplings, the “Matcha Mixed Ice-cream” from Cha-no-Kiminoen are unforgettable delicious!
- Spot name: Nikinokashi (二木の菓子)
- Street address:〒110-0005 Tokyo, Taito, Ueno 4-6-1
- Access: 1-minute walk from JR Okachimachi Station North Gate
- Spot name: Cha-no-Kiminoen (茶の君野園)
- Street address:〒110-0005 Tokyo, Taito-ku, Ueno 4-9-13
- Access: 3-minute walk from JR Ueno Station Shinobazu Gate
Ueno gourmets! From Ameyoko to old stores
In Ueno, there are pioneers of western cuisines such as the long established Seiyouken, the gourmets in Ameyoko, as well as the ramen restaurants and izakaya which provide taste of common people are popular too. What you should try is the soba from Kinojiya which is located at the Ueno’s Mori Sakura Terrace. The handmade soba “Foei Gras Espuma Mori” and Foei Gras Mariage are only available here.
- Spot name: Seiyouken (精養軒)
- Street address:〒110-8715 Tokyo, Taito-ku, Ueno Park 4-58
- Access: 5-minute walk from JR Ueno Station Park Gate, 5-minute walk from Keisei Ueno Station Front Gate, 5-minute walk from Tokyo Metro Ueno Station Exit 7, 8-minute walk from Toei Ueno Okachimachi Station Exit A3
- Spot name: Kinojiya (喜乃字屋)
- Street address: Tokyo Taito-ku, Ueno Park 1-54, Ueno’s Mori Sakura Terrace 1F
- Access: 1-minute walk from JR Ueno Station Shinobazu Gate
Ueno Station, a representative terminal in Japan
Ueno Station is the “gateway to the north” of Tokyo; it is the departing station for bullet trains to Tohoku and Joshinetsu direction and the JR East Japan conventional lines and Tokyo Metro Lines run here. At the central gate of JR Ueno Station, there is a painting “Freedom” by Seiichiro Inokuma; Ueno Station is also the station at the center of culture and art.
What do you think? In Ueno, the silence and chaos coexist, creating a mysterious charm to attract people. Pay attention to its dual nature while enjoying Ueno♪