VR is one of the current hot topics; it stands for “Virtual Reality”. It is a technology which uses artificial environments like CG, allowing the user who wears the special goggles to experience a simulated experience as if they are there. By using VR, you can immerse yourself in games or travel around the world without leaving the room. It allows you to try various experiences different from the real world. There are many gaming attractions where you can experience VR conveniently, especially in Tokyo. Once you experience VR at these attractions, you might not be satisfied with ordinary games anymore! Today we are going to introduce VR entertainment facilities where you can actually experience it.
To be used conveniently at home! A new virtual world experience
One method to experience VR is ‘Smartphone VR’ where you can experience VR just by using your smartphone. Choose your favourite VR movie and set the smartphone on the VR headset to experience VR conveniently. Without buying any new game machine, you can immerse yourself into the virtual space while staying at home! From there you will see a world which is different from your room. This is the real thrill of VR. There are various types of VR headsets ranging from a simple one, which is made from cardboard, to the high performance one. Since the corresponding smartphone size varies depending on VR headset, be sure to check the corresponding size before purchase.
※For further details, please click the link.
Experience the new world view pursuing high entertainment! DMM VR THEATER YOKOHAMA
This is a theatre that provides state-of-the-art video "holographic". This is also a theatre that provides you with a new VR experience without using any special equipment. The graphic will be screened on the stage with high resolution, a beautiful and powerful image that cannot even be distinguished from reality. In addition to video technology, the theatre it has a 9.1 channel surround system. This means in addition to the stereoscopic effect of the image it also provides a stereoscopic sound effect. You can experience a stage with amazing and immersive surroundings with images as though the artist and anime are just in front of you.
DMM VR THEATER YOKOHAMA
- Address: 1-5, 2-chome, Minamisaiwai, Nishi-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Access: 5 minutes’ walk from JR Yokohama Station Minami West entrance (South ticket counter entrance)
- Business hours: Depends on theme of performance
- Fee: Depends on theme of performance
- Fixed holiday: Varies according to the theme of performance
Jump into the world of animation! VR ZONE SHINJUKU
This is a VR facility in the centre of Kabuki-cho, Shinjuku. It creates a new immersion feeling which is different to past VR attractions by combining the highest VR technology and unique new machines. You can enjoy activities that fully utilise all five senses, such as the ultimate test of your bravery when standing at 200 metres above the ground, a horror experience to escape from a cursed abandoned hospital and a VR video based on popular animations like ‘Gundam’ and ‘Dragon Quest’. There are also other facilities such as projection mapping and the food corner which can be enjoyed besides the VR experience.
VR ZONE SHINJUKU
- Address: 1-29-1, Kabuki-cho, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo
- 7 minutes’ walk from JR Shinjuku Station East Entrance
- 2 minutes’ walk from Seibu Shinjuku Station
- Business hours: 10:00 ~ 22:00 (last entry: 21:00) ※Activity reception end at 21:30
(If there is queue at each activity’s entrance, the reception might be closed earlier)
- Admission fee: Package of 1 Day with 4 tickets: 4,400 yen. ※(Package of admission fee and 4 types of VR activity tickets.) The ticket are reserved and sold in advance, and might not available for purchase on the actual day. For details, check the official homepage. There is restriction for VR attraction.
VR experience in the sky! SKY CIRCUS Sunshine 60 Observatory
From the new observation platform "SKY CIRCUS Sunshine 60 Observation Deck", you can enjoy a view of Tokyo from the centre of Ikebukuro, and various other fun height experiences. There are a range of VR experiences available such as: “Tokyo Dangan Flight” where the player gets onto a human cannon machine and wears special goggles to fly around and explore a futuristic Tokyo, “Swing coaster” which lets you glide over the city of Ikebukuro, and “Sky Escape- High Position Fear Experience” an escape mission where you can enjoy a thrilling float experience. There are other attractions where you can snap a social media photo. It’s an observatory which can be enjoyed day or night, rain or shine.
SKY CIRCUS Sunshine 60 Observatory
- Address: 60th Floor, Sunshine City Sunshine 60 Building, 3-1, Higashi Ikebukuro, Toshima-ku, Tokyo
- Approximately 3 minutes’ walk from Higashi-Ikebukuro Station underground corridor
- Approximately 8 minutes’ walk from Ikebukuro Station (JR Line, Tokyo Metro Line, Seibu Line, Tobu Line)
- 4 minutes’ walk from Higashi Ikebukuro 4-chome Stop (Toden Arakawa line)
- Business hours: 10:00 - 22:00 * Last entry is 21:00
- Admission Fee: Observatory entrance fee
- Adults: 1,200 yen
- Students (High school, university, college): 900 yen
- Children (Primary school & Secondary school students): 600 yen
- Kids (4 years old and below): 300 yen
- TOKYO Dangan Flight (1 time / 1 pax): 600 yen
- Swing coaster (1 time / 1 pax): 400 yen
- SKY Escape ~ High position fear experience ~ (1 time / 1 pax): 500 yen ※There is restriction for VR attraction
"Bungee jump" in the center of Shibuya?! VR PARK TOKYO SHIBUYA
There are various types of VR games (such as sports, horror, action and fitness etc.) which are suitable for VR beginners. Among these games, "Jungle Bungee VR" is particularly popular. The player is hung by the harness and repeats rising and falling action inside the jungle. It is an incredible feeling when you jump over branches and rocks of tree like "Tarzan" or "Naruto"! This is a welcoming space for all people including foreigners, as the floor guidance is also written in English and Chinese.
VR PARK TOKYO SHIBUYA
- Business Hours: 10:00-23:20. (Saturday 10:00-23:30)
- Address: 4th Floor, KN Shibuya 1 Building, 13-11 Udagawa-cho, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo
- Admission Fee:
- Non-peak season: 2,900 yen
- Peak Season: 3,300 yen
- To be used conveniently at home! A new virtual world experience
- Experience the new world view pursuing high entertainment! DMM VR THEATER YOKOHAMA
- Jump into the world of animation! VR ZONE SHINJUKU
- VR experience in the sky! SKY CIRCUS Sunshine 60 Observatory
- "Bungee jump" in the center of Shibuya?! VR PARK TOKYO SHIBUYA