Sugamo may not be at the top of the lists in tourist attractions in Tokyo, but this cosy shopping area on the Yamanote line has a ton of cool things to see and do! From lucky red underwear, to a beautiful hot spring resort, there is more to Sugamo than meets the eye!
Sugamo Jizo Dori Shopping Street
Known as the Old Ladies’ Harajuku, Sugamo Jizo Dori Shopping Street is an 800-meter-long stretch of road that holds over 200 shops which sell clothes, traditional food, and other items popular with the elderly.
One of the items that are sold at the Sugamo Jizo Dori Shopping Street are red underwear! They come in many different styles and sizes and are said to bring luck to those that wear them.
If bright red underwear isn’t your thing, Sugamo is also known for their street food and becoming very festive on the 4th, 14th, and 24th of every month. These days are when the local temple holds a small festival and the town becomes alive!
- Spot name: Sugamo Jizo Dori Shopping Street
- Street address: 〒170-0002 Tokyo, Toshima, Sugamo, 3−18-17
- Access: 3 minutes on foot from JR Sugamo Station
Once you finish up your shopping at Sugamo, why not take a rest at a Sugamo Onsen? One of the most popular onsen in the Tokyo area is the Tokyo Somei Onsen Sakura! It’s open 7 days a week from 10:00am to 11:00pm and only costs ￥1,296 for adults and ￥756 for children ages 3-12.
At the Tokyo Somei Onsen Sakura, you can enjoy a day at the spa with their 6 baths for women, 5 baths for men, saunas, and salon. You can also rent towels and garments to walk around the facility for a low price and use their lockers to safeguard your goods while you relax.
- Spot name: Tokyo Somei Onsen Sakura
- Street address: 〒170-0002 Tokyo, Toshima, Komagome, 5-4-24
- Access: 6 minutes on foot from JR Sugamo Station
Hotels near Sugamo Station
One of the best things about staying in Sugamo are the lower prices compared to staying in more popular areas like Shibuya or Shinjuku. There are several hotels near Sugamo station that offer great service and comfy rooms, whether you are a solo traveller or visiting with family you are sure to find a fantastic hotel here.
Smile Hotel Sugamo
Located only 2 minutes by foot from Sugamo Station, the Smile Hotel Sugamo is a cosy place to stay with great hospitality, reasonably priced rooms, easy access to downtown Sugamo.
- Spot name: Smile Hotel Sugamo
- Street address: 〒170-0002 Tokyo, Toshima, Sugamo, 2-4-7
- Access: 8-minute walk from Exit A1 via JR Sugamo Station
Flexstay Inn Sugamo
Part of the HOTEL MYSTAYS family, the Flexstay Inn Sugamo offer many spacious Single and Twin rooms close to Sugamo station. There are kitchenettes available in all the rooms, which makes this Sugamo hotel perfect for long-term stays in Tokyo.
- Spot name: Flexstay Inn Sugamo
- Street address: 〒170-0002 Tokyo, Toshima, Sugamo, 3-6-16
- Access: 7 minutes on foot from Sugamo Station
APA Hotel Sugamo
The APA Hotel Sugamo is located right in front of Sugamo station, which makes it hard to miss! They have plenty of rooms available and offer free Wi-Fi, LCD TVs, and even a communal bathhouse with an open-air bath on the top floor!
- Spot name: APA Hotel Sugamo-Ekimae
- Street address: 〒170-0002 Tokyo, Toshima, Sugamo, 2-9-7
- Access: 2 minutes on foot from Sugamo Station on JR line, or 1 minute on foot from Exit A4 via Sugamo Station on Mita line
Believe it or not, Sugamo Station first opened more than 100 years ago back in April 1903! It’s serviced by the JR Yamanote line, which circles all around the major tourist hot spots in Tokyo and the Toei Mita Line.
The area around the station is less busy when compared to the popular tourist spots of Tokyo but offers a relaxing view of daily life in Japan. There are many izakaya and shops in the area that specialize in traditional sweets and goods, so it’s always worth exploring!
- Spot name: Sugamo Station
- Street address: 〒170-0002 Tokyo, Toshima, Sugamo, 1-16-8
- Access: JR Yamanote Line and the Toei Mita Line