Aoyama, shopping in high culture society, bringing the new age vibe to you, it is the place you feel like bring pampered or reward yourself. The streets in Aoyama are lined up with upmarket youth-orientated shopping centers, a blend between Akasaka and Shibuya giving you a more cutting edge feel then Akasaka but keeping the exclusive atmosphere than Shibuya.
Aoyama Shopping Mall
The premiere fashion destination in Aoyama, designed by renowned architect Tadao Ando. Omotesando Hills stretches 250 meters down the neighborhood’s main street. Head inside to find famous overseas fashion labels such as Valentino and Jimmy Choo alongside with local designers like Yohji Yamamoto and Jun Hashimoto, all upscale and luxurious.
- Name: Omotesando Hills
- Address: 4-12-10 Jingumae, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0001
- Access: 2 minutes’ walk from Omotesando Station on Tokyo Metro Hanzomon Line
- Opening Hour: 11:00am to 9:00pm
Aoyama Shopping District
There are a lot of fashion boutique in Aoyama and it is almost impossible for you to spend an entire trip weaving in and out of all of the boutiques, well, here are a few ones you should not miss.
Mori was one of the original Japanese designers that reached the world stage, way before the hype of Yohji Yamamoto, Issey Miyake and Comme des Garçon. Passing by the store windows, you might find mannequins dressed in traditional kimonos sharing space with others in Mori’s meticulously detailed gray flannel trouser suits. Remember to give the small mall located below the store a visit, which has a number of dealers specializing in Edwardian and Victorian jewelry. The shop used to be located in Omotesando area, but now it is in Tokyu Department Shibuya Honten located near Shibuya station.
- Name: Hanae Mori
- Address: 2-24-1 Dōgenzaka, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 150-0043
- Access: 8 minutes’ walk from Shibuya Station
- Opening Hour: 10:00am to 8:00pm
Shopping in Minami Aoyama area
Minami (南) means south in Japanese. At this southern part of Aoyama, you can enjoy shopping at these unique facilities.
Comme des Garçons
As soon as you walk into this Studio fancy designed space you would notice the sales staff, who look impossibly chic in outfits, on the first sight you might think they are straight from the exotic fashion shows. But they look good enough that you would say welcome to the modern-days fashion.
- Name: Comme des Garçons Aoyama
- Address: 5-2-1 Minamiaoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-0062
- Access: 2 minutes’ walk from Hanzomon Line Omotesando Station
- Opening Hour: 11:00am to 8:00pm
Aoyama Twin Towers
Both a shopping mall and an office building. The twin towers were built in 1978, inside the building includes clothing shops, clinics, government offices, cultural centers and numerous restaurants and cafes. Interesting enough they are mostly local brands in this building but also including some interesting names such as Sennheiser Showroom, NHK (Japanese TV broadcast company) cultural center. There are several health clinics here as well.
- Name: Aoyama Twin
- Address: 1-1-1 Minamiaoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-0062
- Access: Direct connection from Aoyama Ichome station on Toei Oedo Line
- Opening Hour: 11:00am to 10:00pm
Herzog & de Meuron's monumental building is the star here, the six-story crystal geometric wonder, accented by convex and concave glass bubbles. Inside, it offers the full range of Prada’s famous goods.
- Name: Prada Aoyama
- Address: 5-2-6 Minami-Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo 107-0062
- Access: 3 minutes’ walk from Omotesando Station
- Opening Hour: 11:00am to 8:00pm (to 9:00 pm on weekends)
The border between fashion and business in Tokyo, the neighborhood is part of the large Aoyama business district, it borders Tokyo’s fashion area that includes Gaienmae, Omotesando and Harajuku. Although there are signs of the fashion industry here, but it is mostly a quiet upscale residential district with several office towers.