Akihabara is a sacred place for “otaku,” the Japanese subculture fans of anime, games, idols, and maid cafes. Besides being a haven for audio, radio and PC related parts, it’s the coolest place to find game software, anime DVDs, figures, trading cards, and cosplay supplies! In recent years, new buildings and cuisine have made strolling through Akihabara more enjoyable than ever! This time, we would like to recommend some places to stay for travelers wanting to spend even more time in Akihabara.
Hotel Conditions in Akihabara
Although Akihabara might have the image of being the kind of place to stop by for a day trip, in reality there are also many business hotels, and in recent years, a number of capsule hotels have opened. Many of these accommodations are an excellent value!
There’s First Cabin, which resembles the interior of an airplane cabin; Luxury Café Akihabara Electric Town, the luxurious capsule hotel that’s rich in facilities; Akihabara BAY HOTEL, a women-only facility where solo female travelers can stay with peace of mind; rooms that are charged per hour–capsule hotels such as Granite Akihabara that are complete with semi-private rooms furnished with desks that add new concepts and values to this popular type of accommodation. So, how about staying in Akihabara, shopping in the daytime, then enjoying the evening nightlife once you’ve dropped your souvenirs off in your room?
APA Hotel is located at Akihabara Ekimae (the front of Akihabara station), and last year another location was opened at Akihabara Eki Denkigaiguchi (Electric Town Exit). Both are popular with visitors from Japan and abroad as hotels with excellent location, functionality, and value for your money. It is also a nice point that APA allows for easy access to 24-hour meals such as convenience stores, Izakaya or taverns, ramen shops, etc.and rooms featuring enhanced compactness and enhanced functionality. The accommodation fee is as follows: Singles from 5,400 yen; Doubles from 6,400 yen.
- Spot Name: APA Hotel Akihabara Ekimae
- Street Address: 2-13-20 Kanda Sakuma-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0025
- Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line: 1 minute walk from Akihabara Station
- JR Yamanote Line, Keihin Tohoku Line, Sobu Line, Tsukuba Express: 2 minutes on foot from Akihabara Station
- Spot name: APA Hotel Akihabara Eki Denkigaiguchi
- Street address: 3-11-4, Kotokuda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0021
- JR Yamanote Line, Keihin Tohoku Line, Soushu Line Line, Tsukuba Express: 3 minutes on foot from Akihabara Station
- Tokyo Metro Ginza Line: 2 minutes walk from Suehirocho Station
- Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line: 5 minutes on foot from Akihabara Station
This hotel is recommended as a base for sightseeing in the outstanding location directly connected to Akihabara station. Guests can get a comfortable sleep with a high quality original bed, massage chair, and a high-function shower. This is a great choice for those who are tired from traveling and want a quiet night’s sleep. Also, because there is a ladies' floor, it is also recommended for women traveling alone. The accommodation fee is as simple as 8,500 yen for a single, 13,000 yen for a double.
- Spot Name: Remm Akihabara
- Street Address: TX Akihabara Hankyu Building, 1-6-5 Kanda Sakuma-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0025
- JR Akihabara / Tsukuba Express: Directly connected to Akihabara station
- Tokyo Metro Hibiya line: 2 minutes on foot from Akihabara station
- Toei Shinjuku line: 5 minutes on foot from Iwamotocho station
Akihabara Hotel 3000
The dormitory-style hotel, 500 meters from JR Akihabara Train Station, features a 24-hour reception, self-contained shared kitchen area, linen and towels, and a shared bathroom and toilet. In the shared living area, there are perks that include use of a computer and washing machine, as well as free tea and coffee at any time. The accommodation fee is very reasonable, starting from just 3,240 yen, so it’s recommended for those who want to emphasize shopping and budget cuisine during their travel.
- Spot Name: Akihabara Hotel 3000
- Street Address: 4-8 Kanda Sakuma-cho, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0025
- Access: JR Keihin Tohoku Line · Yamanote Line · Central Sobu Line, Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line, Tsukuba Express Line: 5 minutes on foot from Akihabara Station
GRIDS Akihabara Hotel & Hostel
Based on the concept of a hub/hostel that connects people to people, heart to heart, travel to travel, with a bar space on the first floor, centering on a small bed space called the "POD," the "Dormitory" for group travelers, the "Family Room," which takes privacy into consideration, and the “Women’s Private Floor” that’s especially for women traveling solo, and so on. The hotel can accommodate various traveling styles. The accommodation fee is 2,400 yen– A very reasonable price to experience the best hospitality a backpacker can receive.
- Spot Name: GRIDS Akihabara Hotel & Hostel
- Street Address: 2-8-16 Higashikanda, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-0031
- 9 minutes on foot from JR Akihabara station
- 6 minutes on foot from Iwamotocho Station on Shinjuku Line, Toei Subway