Sengokuhara’s Pampas Grass Field is one of the most popular attractions in Hakone. Autumn is the most popular, but other seasons have their charm as well. We will now introduce the highlights and touring methods of Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field, as well as some gourmet spots nearby.
Highlights of the Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field
The Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field, is a meadow that is completely covered with Susuki grass. In the center there is a promenade where visitors can appreciate the view while walking. The path ascends moving forward and descends going back, giving them completely different views each way. The height of the Susuki grass can especially be experienced in the autumn, as it can grow to be taller than a person. On the way back visitors can feel the power of the vast mountains that spread before their eyes while enjoying the beauty of the grass swaying in the wind. These breathtaking views cannot be compared with any other.
Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field in Spring (March, April, May)
To prevent the grassland from becoming a mixed forest, the fields are burned every March. The appearance of the vast grassland covered with flames is a powerful sight. Once the burning of the field has ended, the plum blossoms and spring plants sprout shortly after. For the grass fields, spring is the start of the year.
Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field in Summer (June, July, August)
During the summer, visitors can admire the contrast between the bright green of the grassland and the deeper green of the mountains. The summer months are a perfect time to refresh yourself by enjoying the young fresh grass.
Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field in Autumn (September, October, November)
From late September to mid-November, the spikes of the Susuki blossom and eventually go into full bloom. The highlights of the Pampas Grass Field during this period differ greatly between day and night. At noon, the field is tinted a pale gold and the atmosphere is soft. However when illuminated by the setting sun, the field glows a beautiful deep honey color. It is a landscape that anyone would love to view all day long.
Pampas Grass Field in Winter (December, January, February)
As the field is covered the brown of the withering Susuki during the winter, the main highlight of the season is the scenery of the snow covered fields. The colors of the snow, the sky, and the grass create a beautiful contrast.
Restaurants near Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field
When looking for a place to eat, there is a wide variety of places to choose from in this area including cafes, authentic French eateries, and a restaurant inside the museum near the grassland. It is recommended to find a restaurant with a view of the grassland where the Susuki spreads at dusk.
Hotels near Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field
There are many museums, hotels, ryokans and French-style inns around the grassland. It is recommended to find a hotel that has rooms with a good view of the meadow. In the room, visitors can admire the fantastic sunrise and sunset over the grassy fields.
Access to Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field from the airport
Access to Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field from Narita International Airport
From Narita International Airport, take JR from Tokyo Station to Odawara Station and then take the Hakone Tozan Railway to Hakone Yumoto Station.
Access to Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field from Haneda Airport
From Haneda Airport to Hakone Yumoto, it is convenient to use a high-speed bus via Yokohama. From Hakone Yumoto, take the Hakone Tozan Bus and get off at Sengoku Kogen bus stop. From there it is 3 minutes on foot.
- Spot name: Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field
- Street Address：Sengokuhara, Hakone-machi, Ashigarashimo-gun, Kanagawa Prefecture
- Access：About 1 hour by JR from Narita International Airport to Tokyo Station, about 35 minutes by Shinkansen to Odawara, transfer to Hakone Tozan Railway and ride for about 17 minutes before getting off at Hakone Yumoto, about 28 minutes by Hakone Tozan bus to Sengoku Kogen. From there it is a 3 minute walk. Or 45 Minutes from Haneda Airport by high-speed bus or Hakone Yumoto Air Liner. From Yokohama Station, about 90 minutes by high-speed bus or Hakone Yumoto Air Liner. Transfer to the Hakone Tozan Bus from Hakone Yumoto Station to Sengoku Kogen (28 minutes) and walk about 5 minutes.
- Highlights of the Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field
- Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field in Spring (March, April, May)
- Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field in Summer (June, July, August)
- Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field in Autumn (September, October, November)
- Pampas Grass Field in Winter (December, January, February)
- Restaurants near Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field
- Hotels near Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field
- Access to Sengokuhara Pampas Grass Field from the airport