Autumn in Japan is very suitable for a trip since the climate is comfortable, little rain, and you get to view the beautiful autumn leaves! The shape of the Japan geographical is narrow and long, and therefore temperature difference between the north and the south is huge. In autumn, even though the north area is falling snow, but people are wearing short sleeve in the south area. So, what is the average autumn temperature in major cities in Japan? What should we wear for each month thought out autumn season? Or any extra item you need to wear or bring along? We will explain to you today!
◎What should I wear in Japan during autumn season?
Autumn is a season that you can enjoy autumn fashion since it is easy to coordinate your fashion in this weather since it is neither too hot nor too cold! Let’s try the autumn fashion, travel to the each attraction spots and take a lot of photos! However, the temperature change during this season is also extreme. It is recommended for you to check the temperature of your destination in advance before departure and prepare some items which able to keep you warm such as scarf and down jacket. Besides, you can also check the weekly weather forecast in various places at Japan Meteorological Agency website, which can be referred to when preparing your luggage.
◎Various temperatures and climate in Japan
Average temperature in Tokyo during autumn season
- September Average temperature 24.4℃(Highest average temperature 27.9℃/Lowest average temperature 21.5℃)
- October Average temperature 18.9℃(Highest average temperature 22.4℃/Lowest average temperature 15.9℃)
- November Average temperature 13.5℃(Highest average temperature 17.1℃/Lowest average temperature 10.2℃)
Average temperature in Sapporo during autumn season
- September Average temperature 18.8℃(Highest average temperature 23.1℃/Lowest average temperature 14.9℃)
- October Average temperature 12.1℃(Highest average temperature 16.3℃/Lowest average temperature 8℃)
- November Average temperature 5℃(Highest average temperature 8.5℃/Lowest average temperature 1.6℃)
Average temperature in Sendai during autumn season
- September Average temperature 21.4℃(Highest average temperature 25.2℃/Lowest average temperature 18.2℃)
- October Average temperature 15.7℃(Highest average temperature 19.9℃/Lowest average temperature 11.9℃)
- November Average temperature 9.7℃(Highest average temperature 14℃/Lowest average temperature 5.7℃)
Average temperature in Kanazawa during autumn season
- September Average temperature 23.4℃(Highest average temperature 27.5℃/Lowest average temperature 20.1℃)
- October Average temperature 17.7℃(Highest average temperature 21.9℃/Lowest average temperature 14℃)
- November Average temperature 11.9℃(Highest average temperature 15.8℃/Lowest average temperature 8.2℃)
Average temperature in Kyoto during autumn season
- September Average temperature 24.6℃(Highest average temperature 29.5℃/Lowest average temperature 20.8℃)
- October Average temperature 18.6℃(Highest average temperature 23.5℃/Lowest average temperature 14.5℃)
- November Average temperature 12.4℃(Highest average temperature 17.2℃/Lowest average temperature 8.4℃)
Average temperature in Fukuoka during autumn season
- September Average temperature 24.9℃(Highest average temperature 28.9℃/Lowest average temperature 21.9℃)
- October Average temperature 19.9℃(Highest average temperature 24℃/Lowest average temperature 21.9℃)
- November Average temperature 14.2℃(Highest average temperature 18.1℃/Lowest average temperature 10.7℃)
Average temperature in Naha during autumn season
- September Average temperature 28℃(Highest average temperature 30.8℃/Lowest average temperature 25.8℃)
- October Average temperature 25.8℃(Highest average temperature 28.4℃/Lowest average temperature 23.7℃)
- November Average temperature 22.6℃(Highest average temperature 25.1℃/Lowest average temperature 20.4℃)
(Source of Information: Japan Meteorological Agency, year 1997-2017)
◎Proposed dress code for each month on September, October and November
September, which is known as the end of summer
In Tokyo, this season is still hot like summer weather. Moreover, a typhoon may come in this month. Depending on the weather forecast, it is recommended to wear a short-sleeved top or thin long-sleeved top, and match with jacket, denim jacket, vest, thin leather jacket and so on. In this season, women are recommended to wear long skirt or knit long tunics, etc, while men are recommended to match polo shirts with cardigan, etc. Let’s try out various cool and fashion autumn wear during this season!
October, also a month to celebrate Halloween
It feels colder in October in Japan. It is recommended to wear a long-sleeved tops and hoodie, and match with leather coat, duster coat, etc. You can also wear a knit long or thin sweater, and do not forget to keep a thin down jacket in the bag to be used when it gets cold at night. Women can match a thick one piece and a medium thickness legging. In addition, women are recommended to wear a shoe that can hide your fingers, and wear a thin scarf such as cotton scarf, as a fashion and at the same time to keep your body warmness.
If you are traveling in big city such as Tokyo or Osaka, you will manage to participate in various Halloween parties. Let's make up yourself with cosplay and enjoy the annual Halloween.
November, which is even colder
Temperature in November in Japan is equally cold as the winter temperature in Taiwan. However since it is dryer, the sensible temperature is actually higher than Taiwan. In this season, you are recommended to wear a warm heat-tech and match it with a sweater and thick long-sleeved tops. Women are recommended to wear thick tight legging or inner fabric legging when wearing skirt. For shoes, it is recommended to wear warm thick boots or high warm shoes which can keep your foot warm, and also with a wool socks. Please do not forget to bring some warm accessories such as wool muffler, glove, knit caps etc.
If you are in Tokyo, mid-November and end November are the season to pick autumn leaves and ginkgo leaves. Since you are spending long hours at outdoor during the leaves picking, please be careful not to catch cold by wearing warmer clothes.
◎Recommended items for autumn
1. To avoid catch cold
The weather in autumn is always changing and is almost unpredictable, and therefore it is a season where many people catch cold. In order to prevent from catching cold, besides wearing the warm clothes, you are recommended to wear a mask when you are at the place with a lot people, for example when you taking a train. Japan, a country which emphasizes on individual physical condition management has various useful item. Besides the various mask with different function, there are things such as space disinfectant spray in mobile type, pen type, etc. All of these will be a good way for you to prevent catch cold.
2. Beware of dryness
When winter is approaching Japan, the air will become dry gradually. Especially when you visit sightseeing spot at outdoor, your skin will get dehydrated easily. Do not forget to bring the mini size skin care items which can help you to moisturize your skin. For example you may bring a lip cream, hand cream, etc. In addition, after taking a bath, try to apply body lotion and face pack to moisturize your skin!
3. Prevent your foot to get smelly
In autumn when boot fashion is active, most of us will wear a cool or cute boots which are nice in appearance, however the breathability is low which might cause our foot smelly. Especially there are a lot place which you need to take off your shoes in Japan, you might feel embarrassing if your foot smelly. However you do not need to worry because Japan has a lot item to cope this. For example, there is disinfectant deodorant mold spray for shoes, charcoal dry pat for boots, special material Diatomaceous earth shoes dry plate, etc. Just choose the type suit you and try out these items.