Spring means cherry blossoms in Japan for locals and visitors alike. From late March to early April is the peak blooming period in the Kanto area, including Tokyo. When the cherry blossoms are in full bloom the whole city turns pink and for many, it is the most beautiful season in Japan.
Here's a brief look at Japan's weather and the clothes you'll need if are planning a trip in spring.
When is spring in Japan?
Broadly speaking it's the three months from March to May.
Spring temperatures in different areas of Japan
- Average temperature in March 11 ℃ (Highest 17 ℃ / lowest 6 ℃)
- Average temperature in April 17 ℃ (Highest 22 ℃ / lowest 12 ℃)
- Average temperature in May 20 ℃ (Highest 25 ℃ / lowest 15 ℃)
- Average temperature in March 0.6 ℃ (Highest 4 ℃ / lowest -2.9 ℃)
- Average temperature in April 7.1 ℃ (Highest 11.5 ℃ / lowest 3.2 ℃)
- Average temperature in May 12.7 ℃ (Highest 17.3 ℃ / lowest 8.3 ℃)
- Average temperature in March 7.5 ℃ (Highest 12.7 ℃ / lowest 2.4 ℃)
- Average temperature in April 12.5 ℃ (Highest 17.6 ℃ / lowest 8.0 ℃)
- Average temperature in May 17.0 ℃ (Highest 21.1 ℃ / lowest 12.5 ℃)
- Average temperature in March 6.9 ℃ (Highest 11.0 ℃ / lowest 3.0 ℃)
- Average temperature in April 12.5 ℃ (Highest 16.9 ℃ / lowest 8.2 ℃)
- Average temperature in May 17.1 ℃ (Highest 21.6 ℃ / lowest 13.1 ℃)
- Average temperature in March 9.4 ℃ (Highest 13.7 ℃ / lowest 5.6 ℃)
- Average temperature in April 15.1 ℃ (Highest 19.9 ℃ / lowest 10.7 ℃)
- Average temperature in May 19.0 ℃ (Highest 24.6 ℃ / lowest 14.0 ℃)
- Average temperature in March 11.9 ℃ (Highest 16.9 ℃ / lowest 7.7 ℃)
- Average temperature in April 19.1 ℃ (Highest 21.9 ℃ / lowest 13.0 ℃)
- Average temperature in May 20.8 ℃ (Highest 25.3 ℃ / lowest 16.9 ℃)
- Average temperature in March 18.9 ℃ (Highest 21.7 ℃ / lowest 16.5 ℃)
- Average temperature in April 21.4 ℃ (Highest 24.1 ℃ / lowest 19.0 ℃)
- Average air temperature of May 24.0 ℃ (Highest 26.7 ℃ / lowest 21.8 ℃)
You will be able to feel the spring is coming in March since the coldness will be relieved in March
March is a month which filled with spring feeling, and a month where everyone will feel exciting to welcome the new season.
However, since the coldness still continues, it is recommended to wear an outerwear such as coat and cardigan.
Woman: When we talking about spring, the first thing that come to my mind is "floral pattern"! One piece dress with floral is a necessary item during spring. Even if you wish to incorporate some color into your spring dress, it is recommended for you to get a non-flashy color, instead you should match with a dress with a refreshing color. This time the dress we introduce is a one piece dress with small flower pattern in innocent green color. ♪
Because the weather is cold during morning and night time, it would be better to wear a coat to prevent coldness.
Man: Since March is the turning point of the season, the change of the temperature is aggressive, it is recommended for you to bring along one outer wear so that you can correspond accordingly to the weather comfortably.
The light color of the outer wear is also nice, however a dark color outer wear is cooler and preferable for a man. Also, you can wear it fashionably by just wear it layering.
From April you can enjoy the flower season and cherry blossoms are in full bloom
April will be a month with full-fledge spring feeling. It is not too hot or too cold, and is a perfect weather for sightseeing.
You will have more opportunity to take off your heavy coat and enjoy the weather with lighter attire.
Woman: Spring-like light floral one piece dress is recommended in this month! You can wear the same clothes as in March.
However, as the sunlight has become stronger in day time, it is recommended to wear a light jacket or cardigan instead of a heavy coat.
Man: For those tourist, it would be better to wear casual. At the same time, many of us would like to wear fashionably also, so instead of only wearing a casual clothes like jeans, let's wear a shirt with collar and match with a nice accessories.
May is a month of real spring, the town is full of green
The temperature in May is getting warmer and the sunlight is getting stronger too. However, please take good care to the huge gap of temperature between morning and night time. It is recommended to combine thin coat with short sleeve.
Woman: Since the season is filled with green color, the attire with orange, yellow, green, blue, pink etc. will be good for photograph shooting. Even a classic denim, or a feminine one piece dress are recommended as it will not be too casual for your trip.
Man: When the sunlight is getting strong and temperature is getting warmer to 23℃ to 25 ℃, it is recommended to match long sleeve shirt and T-shirts with nice coordination.
The top dress with pale yellow and white pant will be a good combination in fresh spring with a sense of cleanliness.
Summary of necessary items during spring
- Light coat
- Sunhat or parasol
- Sunblock cream
Japan has a series of four national holidays close together, starting on April 29, which is known as Golden Week. Many companies shut down for a whole week or even 10 days, so it is a peak time for domestic travel and tourism.
Tourist attractions and hotels and restaurants are packed with people, roads are jammed, while flight and rail tickets are in high demand and there could delays to some services due to congestion.
- When is spring in Japan?
- Spring temperatures in different areas of Japan
- You will be able to feel the spring is coming in March since the coldness will be relieved in March
- From April you can enjoy the flower season and cherry blossoms are in full bloom
- May is a month of real spring, the town is full of green
- Summary of necessary items during spring
- Golden Week