Nokonoshima Island can be found in Hakata Bay, a convenient 10-minute ferry ride from Meinohama, and has been used by Fukuoka residents as a place of relaxation and refreshment for a long period of time. There are many things to see here, all unique during the 4 seasons of the year, with the island being quite well-known for its flowers and marine leisure activities during the summer months.
Fukuoka's Famous Flower Garden - Nokonoshima Island
Nokonoshima Island can be found within Hakata bay and is part of Fukuoka's many districts. It's located a convenient 10-minute ferry ride from Meinohama and is often used by local residents as a place to simply get away and relax for a while. It's especially well-known for its flowers which change entirely depending on the season you visit.
Nokonoshima Island Park
In spring you'll find rape blossoms, in summer sunflowers, fall cosmos, and in winter daffodils, there are many unique flowers to see here. Within the park you'll find 2 types of cottages being the "Villa Sakimori" and "Sakimori-no-Sato" in two rows of 5 with 10 in total allowing you to enjoy a leisurely stay while looking at the flowers.
Furthermore, there are various restaurants and eateries available that serve dishes such as barbeque, udon, tea, sweets, and much more. There are even stores to buy some souvenirs to commemorate your visit! Each of the shops has its own unique character, so make sure to visit them all and find something you like.
There are many more activities you're able to try here including pottery-making, an original sport known as "Nokonoko Ball", athletics, and much more. There's even a mini zoo where you're able to see and interact with bunnies, goats, ponies, and more, so make sure to check out all of the park's information and set up a plan before visiting to get the most out of your journey!
- Access：Take the Nishitetsu bus heading to "Island Park" from the Nokonoshima Ferry Terminal for 13 minutes
- Address：1624 Noko, Nishi Ward, Fukuoka, 819-0012
- Entrance Fee: Adult（Highschool and above）1,200 JPY, Child（Pre+Middleschool）600 JPY, Infant (3 and above) 400 JPY
- Business Hours：Mon〜Sat 9：00〜17：30
：Sun・Public Holidays 9：00〜18：30
Nokonoshima Camp Site - The Perfect Spot to Enjoy the Sea
If you're someone who enjoys looking out into the ocean, we highly recommend visiting the Nokonoshima Camp Site. During the sea-bathing season from the start of July to the end of September, you're able to enter the sea, as well as visit the surrounding stores and restaurants, ride in a banana boat, have a BBQ, and much more. You can use the camp all year round.
On the seafront you'll find 26 bungalows, so even if you didn't bring a tent you're able to stay if you want! There is also a "Winter Camp Run" during the winter months, where you're able to enjoy a day trip to the camp using the bungalows, as well as try a special BBQ menu. All winter camp facilities are reservation-only.
- Access：Take the free camp site bus from the Nokonoshima Ferry Port.
- Address：2 Noko, Nishi Ward, Fukuoka, 819-0012
- Business Hours：Day trip customers 9:00 - 17:00 - For further information please contact
- Adult（Middleschool Student and above） ■A Type 2-story Weekday：4,000 JPY Weekends + Holidays 5,000 JPY
- ■B Type Single-story Weekday：3,500 JPY Weekends + Holidays 4,500 JPY
- ■C Type Single-story Weekday：3,500 JPY Weekends + Holidays 4,500 JPY
- Elementary School Students 2,500 JPY (Weekends + Holidays same price)
- 3 and above 2,000 JPY (Weekends + Holidays same price)
＊Cancellations must be made at least 14 days in advance. Any cancellations after that date will incur a cancellation fee.
Visit the Outlet on Your Way Home
Close to Nokonoshima and Meinohama's Ferry Port you'll find Kyushu's largest Outlet Mall "Marinoa City Fukuoka". It has fashion, interior, and many more sights to see and activities to try including the 60-meter-high Ferris wheel! It could be fun to go on a shopping spree during your trip home from Nokonoshima?
- Access：Ride the Fukuoka City Subway-Kuko Line from Hakata Station before debarking at Meinohama Station, then 15-minutes via Showa bus from Meinohama Station South Entrance.
: Ride the Fukuoka City Subway-Kuko Line from Tenjin station until Meinohama Station, then 15-minutes via Showa bus from Meinohama Station South Entrance.
- Address：2-chōme-12-30 Odo, Nishi Ward, Fukuoka, 819-0001
- Business Hours：Stores / Food Court 10:00 - 21:00 / Restaurants 11:00 - 23:00 / Ferris Wheel 10:00 - 23:00
How to Get to Nokonoshima
- A 10-minute ferry ride from Meinohama Port
- Take the Fukuoka City Subway-Kuko Line from either Hakata or Tenjin Station, then ride the Nishitetsu Bus from Meinohama Station's North Entrance until Noko Ferry Port
- Ride the Nishitetsu Bus from Bus Station A at Hakata Station until Noko Ferry Port
- Ride the Nishitetsu Bus from Tenjin Express Bus Terminal until Noko Ferry Port
- If you visiting via car, take the Kyushu Expressway until Dazaifu IC or Fukuoka IC before entering the Fukuoka highway heading towards Tenjin / Fukuju and then exiting at the Atago Ramp and driving until Meinohama Ferry Port
How did you find this article? We've introduced a unique and exciting island that local Fukuoka residents use for relaxation and refreshment, Nokonoshima. There are many things to see and do during each season, so it's a location you can visit multiple times and find something new each journey. Try and fit it into your schedule during your next trip to Japan!