Kamakura's Seaside Resort: Recommended Beaches in Kamakura
Kamakura is a city with long history. Besides shrines, temples, and historical sites, Kamakura's beaches also hold a few famous sightseeing spots. The coastline facing the Pacific Ocean is a popular destination for those who love road trips and those who want to enjoy sea views or marine sports. In this article, we will introduce the beaches of Kamakura's seaside resort.
Sea Bathing in Kamakura's Beaches
Yuigahama Beach: The Most Visited Beach in Kamakura
Yuigahama Beach is crowded with many visitors every year from July to August. Since it is a shallow beach, tourists especially children can swim safely. During the sea bathing season, there are about 20 "Uminoya" (seaside restaurants) on the beach that sell food such as ramen and yakisoba, and also goods for sea bathing. The beach is also the venue for the Kamakura Fireworks Festival, which takes place in July every year.
- Spot name: Yuigahama Beach
- Street Address: Yuigahama, Kamakura, Kanagawa 248-0014
- Access: About a 15-minute walk from JR Kamakura Station
- About a 5-minute walk from Enodenshima Electric Railway Wadazuka Station, Yuigahama Station or Hase Station
- Opening time: July 1 ~ August 31 9:00 ~ 17:00; Surfing and bodyboarding possible outside this time period
Zaimokuza Beach is a shallow beach next to the Yuigahama beach. It is divided into Swimming Area and Swimming Prohibited Area. Activities such as boating and windsurfing can be enjoyed at the swimming prohibited area. There are about 10 "Uminoya" in the beach where you can have meals and take a shower. Like the Yuigahama Beach, Zaimokuza Beach is also a venue for the Kamakura Fireworks Festival, which takes place in July every year.
- Spot name: Zaimokuza Beach
- Street Address: Zaimokuza, Kamakura, Kanagawa 248-0013
- Access: About 20 minutes on foot from JR Kamakura Station
- About 10 minutes by bus from JR Kamakura Station. Get off at Zaimokuza Bus Stop and walk for about 3 minutes
- Opening time: July 1 ~ August 31 9:00 ~ 17:00
At Koshigoe Beach you can secure a relatively spacious space compared to Yuigahama Beach and Zaimokuza Beach. It is close to the city of Fujisawa and you can see Enoshima from the beach. Koshigoe Beach is perfect for those who want to relax and spend time looking at the sea.
- Spot name: Koshigoe Beach
- Street Address: Koshigoe, Kamakura, Kanagawa 248-0033
- Access: About a 3-minute walk from Enodenshima Electric Railway Koshigoe Station
- Opening time: July 1 ~ August 31 9:00 ~ 17:00
Shichirigahama Beach & Inamuragasaki Beach: Great Scenery and Marine Sports
Swimming is prohibited in Shichirigahama Beach and Inamuragasaki Beach. Both of them are perfect places for marine sports such as surfing. In addition, Shichirigahama Beach is a scenic spot that was selected as one of the 100 best beaches in Japan while Inamuragasaki Beach is a famous place for viewing sunsets. You should pay a visit to both of them during your trip in Kamakura to enjoy the superb scenery.
- Spot name: Shichirigahama Beach
- Street Address: Shichirigahama, Kamakura, Kanagawa
- Access: About 7 minutes on foot from Enodenshima Electric Railway Shichirigahama Station
- Spot name: Inamuragasaki Beach
- Street Address: Inamuragasaki, Kamakura, Kanagawa
- Access: A 5-minute walk from the Enoshima Electric Railway Inamuragasaki Station
- Always open
Restaurants near Kamakura's Beaches
Kamakura's seaside has many fashionable cafes and restaurants that have an atmosphere of a resort. Restaurants where you can view the mesmerizing sunset while dining are particularly recommended, as it brings your dining experience to a next level.
Kamakura's hotels to stay at after having fun on the beach
There are many hotels on the seaside of Kamakura, which some has sea-view from guest rooms. Such guest rooms allows guests to feel refreshed by looking at the sea in the morning while lingering over fun moments at the beach.
Access to Kamakura From the Airport
You can take the JR Narita Express at Narita Airport, which is the closest international airport to Kamakura, to go to Kamakura via Ofuna Station conveniently. If you go from Haneda Airport, take the Limited Express Train of Keikyu Airport Line to reach Yokohama Station, then change to Yokosuka Line in Yokohama Station to arrive at Kamakura in about 30 minutes.
- Spot name: Kamakura Station
- Street Address: 1-1 Komachi, Kamakura, Kanagawa 248-000
- Access: From Narita Airport: Take Jr Narita Express to reach Ofuna station in about 1 hour 50 minutes. Change to Shonan Shinjuku Line or Yokosuka Line at Ofuna station and arrive at Kamakura Station in about 6 - 7 minutes; From Haneda Airport: Take the Limited Express Train of Keikyu Airport Line to reach Yokohama Station in about 30 minutes. Then change to Shonan Shinjuku Line or Yokosuka Line and arrive at Kamakura Station in about 30 minutes.