If you want to enjoy your travels in Okuhida, you definitely want to fully enjoy its magnificent nature. This will be an introduction to some recommended places when visiting Okuhida.
Places you definitely want to check out when going to Okuhida
Okuhida, located in Gifu Prefecture, is a tourist spot rich in nature located at the foot of the Northern Alps. Spring is beautiful with fresh greenery, and the fall is beautiful with colorful autumn leaves. It is also famous as a hot spring resort, and you can spend a relaxing vacation surrounded by nature.
Okuhida Bear Park
Okuhida Bear Park is a bear themed park where you can meet Japanese black bears (Nihon Tsuki No Waguma) and brown bears (Higuma). Not only can you observe the bears from nearby, but there are also services where you can give food or take photos with the cubs.
- Spot name: Okuhida Bear Park
- Street address: 2535 Okuhida Onsenkyo Hitoegane, Takayama, Gifu
- Access: 1 hour and 20 minutes by Nohi Bus headed for Shinhotaka Onsen from JR Takayama Station Takayama Bus Center, get off at Kumabokujo-mae, 5-minute walk from there
Shinhotaka Ropeway is two ropeways you can ride while looking at the beautiful mountains of the North Alps. At 11 minutes of total ride time, you can easily enjoy views from over 2,000 meters above sea level, and you can experience the only 2-story ropeway in Japan. Let's enjoy the scenery of the four seasons, such as fresh greenery, autumn leaves, and snow-covered winters.
- Spot name: Shinhotaka Ropeway
- Street address: Shinhotaka, Okuhida Onsengo, Takayama, Gifu
- Access: 1 hour and 40 minutes by Nohi bus headed for Shinhotaka Ropeway from JR Takayama Station Takayama Nohi Bus Center, get off at the last stop and 0 minutes on foot from there
Hirayu Otaki, which has been selected as one of Japan's Top 100 Waterfalls, is a powerful waterfall with a height of 64 meters and a width of 6 meters. Hirayu Otaki, which becomes a large ice column, is lit up every February in the “Hirayu Otaki Freeze Festival”, and is visited by many people.
- Spot name: Hirayu Otaki
- Street address: Hirayu, Okuhida Onsengo, Takayama, Gifu
- Access: Shuttle bus from Hirayu Bus Terminal
Recommended Restaurants at Okuhida
This will introduce some recommended restaurants for groups and families we’d love for you to check out if you come to Okuhida.
Ankiya: a gassho-style restaurant located at the entrance of Hirayu Otaki. You can try Teppanyaki of Hida beef and Hoba miso-yaki, a local dish, and you can order sake and shochu to go with your dish as well.
- Spot name: Ankiya
- Street address: 768-36 Okuhida Onsengō Hirayu Takayama, Gifu
- Access: 10-minute walk from Hirayu Bus Terminal
Recommended Hotels at Okuhida
Okuhida is called "Onsenkyo" and is a famous hot spring area in Japan. If you stay at a hotel with a hot spring and great Japanese food, you will be able to experience the full appeal of Okuhida.
Okuhida Garden Hotel Yakedake
"Okuhida Garden Hotel Yakedake" is a place where you can enter 9 different kinds of hot springs, including a garden open-air bath. You can also choose Western-style rooms with beds, as well as tatami and futon rooms. You can spend time relaxing while tasting the luxurious local cuisine of Okuhida using seasonal ingredients.
- Spot name: Okuhida Garden Hotel Yakedake
- Street address: 2498-1 Okuhida Onsengō Hitoegane Takayama, Gifu
- From JR Takayama Station, get on a Fukuji Onsen Route bus headed for Shin Hotaka, get off at Okuhida Garden Hotel Yakedake
Accessibility to Okuhida by Train and Bus
It takes about 2 hours 20 minutes to get from from Tokyo to Hirayu Bus Terminal using Chuo Main Line to Matsumoto Station, and about 1 hour and 30 minutes using a direct bus from Matsumoto. Alternatively, you can take the express bus from Shinjuku Bus Terminal headed directly for Takayama and arrive in about 4 hours and 35 minutes.