The Kamitori and Shimotori shopping street are the representative shopping spots of Kumamoto. Besides being a wonderful and memorable place, they are also recommended due to its convenience as it is near the station.
The Lively Shimotori Shopping Arcade
Shimotori shopping arcade has a pedestrian walk of 511 m, and is walking distance away from Kumamoto Castle, making it a convenient location for tourists. Fashion related stores are highly concentrated here. Besides, local delicacies such as horse meat and Kumamoto Ramen as well as cafes are also abundantly found here.
- Spot name: Shimotori shopping arcade
- Spot address: From Tetori Honcho to Shimotori 2-chome, Chuo-ku, Kumamoto-shi, 860-0807
- Access: From JR Kumamoto Station, take the A-Line tram for 15 minutes, get off at Torichosuji Station and walk for 3 minutes or Hanabatacho Station and walk for 4 minutes.
A Blend Of Young And Long-established Stores: Kamitori Shopping Arcade
Kamitori shopping arcade is also located near Kumamoto Castle, and its architecture design is based on Musée d'Orsay in Paris. Its northern extension Kamitori Namikizaka is an open air mall with trees on the side and cars passing through. The shops in Kamitori shopping arcade is a mix of long-established stores and new stores popular among young people. It has a wide genre of stores catering for each demographic's needs.
- Spot name: Kamitori Shopping Arcade
- Spot address: Jotomachi, Chuo Ward, Kumamoto, 860-0846 and its nearby
- Access: From JR Kumamoto Station, take the A-Line tram for 18 minutes, get off at Torichosuji Station and walk for 2 minutes
The Long-established Tsuruya Department Store
Tsuruya Depertment Store is the representative department store of Kumamoto. From fashion to food stuffs, a wide variety of high quality products can be found here. There are food court and restaurants available on the basement floor and 7th floor respectively.
A duty free counter is also available at the 2nd floor, providing one-stop duty free procedure service for products bought in Tsuruya Department Store and other stores in the shopping arcade. Moreover, tax can be exempted as long as the total spending in all the shops reaches a certain level.
- Spot name: Tsuruya Department Store
- Spot address: 6-1 Tetorihoncho, Chuo-ku, Kumamoto, 860-8586
- Access: 20-25 minutes from Kumamoto Station, get off at Torichosuji Station or Suidocho Station
Local Delicacies and Souvenirs At Higo Yokamon Ichiba Market
Higo Yokamon Ichiba Market is a commercial establishment located at the front of Kumamoto Station. With over 60 stores selling Kumamoto's famous local souvenirs, this place definitely has something to every tourists' satisfaction.
Besides souvenirs, there are many local delicacies such as horse meat, sushi, Kumamoto style ramen to enjoy as well. In addition, places for a brief rest and tourist information centers can also be found here.
- Spot name: Higo Yokamon Ichiba Market
- Spot address: 3-15-30, Kasuga, Nishi-ku, Kumamoto, 860-0047
- Access: Right in front of Kumamoto Station
Kumamotoken Bussan Kan
Kumamotoken Bussan Kan (Kumamoto Prefecture Local Products Store) has over 1,600 types of local souvenirs and exclusive products, including good of the prefecture's mascot character Kumamon.
Among products such as sweets, food stuffs, alcohol beverages, and handicrafts, many of them has a long history and are made of natural ingredients, allowing shoppers to understand feel the charm of Kumamoto.
- Spot name: Kumamotoken Bussan Kan
- Spot address: NTT Nishi-Nippon Bldg. 1st floor 3-1 Sakura-machi Chou-ku, Kumamoto
- Access: 12 minutes from Kumamoto Station to Hanabatacho Station, and walk for 3 minutes.