Autumn in Fuji is the period when at the start of September the mountain climbing season ends. For this purpose, hiking on the slopes of Mt. Fuji, riding on sightseeing highways, and looking at Mt. Fuji from picturesque autumn leaves around the Fuji Five Lakes is suggested.
The best time to see autumn leaves around Mt. Fuji
Since the elevation around Mt. Fuji is different, you can see autumn leaves every year for almost a month and a half. In late September, the autumn leaves of alpine plants near the 5th station will emerge as the first. After that, the lovely foliage of the autumn will gradually spread towards the mountain foot. Full bloom takes place in the vicinity of Fuji Five Lakes in early November.
Autumn hiking in Oniwa and Okuniwa
Oniwa and Okuniwa are mountain trails near Fuji Subaru Line 4th and 5th station in Yamanashi Prefecture. You should take the walking paths to indulge in the yellow leaves of alpine plants that are inherent to Mt. Fuji. The best time to see them is from early to late October. The golden color of the mountain surface is worth a look.
Drive and enjoy Mt. Fuji in autumn
There are two driving routes in Mt. Fuji : The Fuji Subaru Line on the Yamanashi side and the Mt. Fuji Skyline on the Shizuoka side. Both routes have good views and you can enjoy the autumnal alpine plants on the surface of Mt. Fuji through the car window.
Recommended places where Mt. Fuji and the autumn leaves can be admired
There are attraction places at the foot of Mt. Fuji where you can enjoy lovely autumn leaves on the backdrop with Mt. Fuji. For autumn leaves around the Fuji Five Lakes near Mt. Fuji, we strongly suggest these picturesque places.
Momiji Tunnel (Lake Kawaguchi)
Momiji Tunnel is a famous place on the north coast of Lake Kawaguchi for autumn leaves. It's a popular photogenic place as well. Try to discover an angle between the maples to look at Lake Kawaguchi and Mt. Fuji and take some remarkable pictures!
- Spot name: Momiji Tunnel
- Best time: Early to mid-November
- Street address: 〒401-0304 Oishi, Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Minamitsuru-gun, Yamanashi Prefecture
- Access: About 15 minutes by route bus from Kawaguchiko Station
Oishi Park (Lake Kawaguchi)
Oishi Park is a natural park on Lake Kawaguchi's north coast. Walking along the park promenade, you can fully admire the flowers of the autumn landscape, Mt. Fuji and Lake Kawaguchi. There are unique maple leaves here that are worth a visit.
- Spot name: Oishi Park
- Best time: From late October to mid-November
- Street address: Fujikawaguchiko-machi, Oishi2525-11
- Access: About 25 minutes by route bus from Kawaguchiko Station
Asahigaoka lakeside Parkland (Lake Yamanaka)
Asahigaoka lakeside Parkland is a natural park located at Lake Yamanaka. You can appreciate the lighted up red-hot maples along the park promenade and Mt. Fuji at the venue of the "Yuyake no Nagisa - Fall Foliage Festival” there.
- Spot name: Asahigaoka lakeside Parkland
- Best time: From late October to early November
- Street address: Hirano, Yamanakako, Minamitsuru District, Yamanashi
- Access: Take a 50-minute ride on Fujikko-Go Bus from Mt. Fuji Station to "Christmas-no-mori Iriguchi" bus stop and then a 3-minute walk