Osaka? Kyoto? Yoshino? How much do you know? Top 5 spots for late blossom Sakura in Kansai area
Sakura in Kansai starts to blossom from around 20th March, and is in full blossom during end of March and early April. There are places where one can still enjoy in the second half of April. As the proverb “The best flower blossoms later” goes, you would want to enjoy the cherry blossoms that beautifully decorate the end of the season.
1. Japan Mint Bureau (Osaka) Sakura no Torinuke (大阪市の造幣局 桜の通り抜け)
There are about 134 species, 350 Sakura trees along the road from Japan Mint’s south gate to north gate which is about 560 meter. Rare species such as Ootemari (Japanese Snowball) and Beni-temari can be found here. It is open until 9pm and you can enjoy the cherry blossoms light-up too. Since 1883 (Meiji 16), the street is open to public for a week in the mid of April during the cherry blossoms season.
Japan Mint, Sakura no Torinuke
- Best time for cherry blossoms: Mid of April
- Address: Osaka Prefecture, Kita-ku, Tenma 1-1-79
- Opening hours: 10:00~21:00 ※Sat・Sun 9:00～21:00(schedule)
2. Yoshinoyama (吉野山)
About 200 kinds, 30,000 Sakura trees are in bloom at the four areas of the mountain. Each of them is called “Hitome Senbon” as “one can look over 1000 Sakura trees at a glance”. From Shimo (below the mountain) to Oku (deep in the mountain), the Sakura view is magnificent. Originally it was not for Sakura viewing, the sacred Sakura trees were being planted as testimonies of Shugendo to Kinpusenji-Temple.
- Best time for cherry blossoms: Mid of April ~ late April
- Address: Nara Prefecture, Yoshino-gun, Yoshino-cho, Yoshinoyama
3. Hirano Shrine (平野神社)
About 60 kinds, 400 Sakura trees blossom in the precinct. From early March to late April, not only the Yoshino cherry, other Sakura species are waiting for their turn to blossom. However, please note that eating and drinking is prohibited here (there is no rubbish bin available) except at the Hanami tea house. The light-up from the end of March to 20th April at night is fantastic too.
- Best time for cherry blossoms: Early March ~ Late April
- Address: Kyoto Prefecture, Kyoto-shi, Kita-ku, Hirano Miyamoto-cho 1
- Opening hours; 6:00~17:00 (during cherry blossom season~21:00)
- Light up is from after sunset~21:00 (according to the blossoms)
4. Kyoto Botanical Garden (京都府立植物園)
From “Kanhi-zakura (Winter cheery tree)” in mid of March to “Kiku-zakura” in late April, you can enjoy the full blossoms of approximately 130 kinds, 450 Sakura trees over a month here. In addition, next to the Kyoto Botanical Garden is an avenue of the red “Shidare-zakura (weeping cherry trees)”, which is recommended for a walk.
Kyoto Botanical Garden
- Best time for cherry blossoms: Mid of March ~ Late April
- Address: Kyoto-shi, Sakyo-ku, Shimogamo, Hangi-cho
- Opening hours: 9:00~17:00 (Entrance is till 4pm)
- Fees: General 200yen, High school student 150yen, free for junior high school students and below
5. Sanzen-in Temple (三千院門跡)
The garden in the Sanzen-in Temple makes a beautiful appearance in all seasons. In spring, all kinds of Sakura are in bloom, competing for their beauty. The “Shidare-zakura” at the inner shrine is especially magnificent. There are also Sakura trees scattered outside the precinct. The Sanzen-in Temple is a temple founded by the monk Saicho in the 8th century. The national treasure, Amitabha statue, and others are housed here.
- Best time for cherry blossoms: Mid of April ~ Late April
- Address: Kyoto Prefecture, Kyoto-shi, Sakyo-ku, Ohara Raikoincho 540
- Opening hours: 8:30～17:30（Reception is till 17:00）
- Fees: Adult 700yen, Junior/High school student 400yen, child 150yen