If you plan to buy souvenirs in Takamatsu, then you should make your way to a shopping street or shopping mall. In each facility Kagawa’s famous confectionary can be found. This time we will introduce 3 facilities that we particularly recommend out of all of the shopping spots in Takamatsu.
Takamatsu Marugame Ichiban-gai Mae Dome Square
Takamatsu Marugame Ichiban-gai Mae Dome Square is a plaza in the central part of Takamatsu Marugame shopping area. It is most beautiful and superb, constructed with glass and made to look like a large arch-like formation. This space is often packed with events such as illuminations, summer festivals and limited period stalls selling Western confectionary.
If you visit the square you should also take the time to visit the adjacent Marugame Shopping Mall and Takamatsu Mitsukoshi. Souvenirs such as Quattro Ebi Cheese from Shimahide and Kawara Senbei Seto Nai Meguri (a rice cracker set) from Soke Kutsuwado can be bought here. The price depends on the package quantity, but they start at the affordable price of around 1000yen. (Information accurate on July 2019).
- Spot name: Takamatsu Marugame Ichiban-gai Mae Dome Square (Takamatsu Marugame-cho shopping mall)
- Street address: 1-1, Marugamemachi, Takamatsu, Kagawa Prefecture 760-0029
- Access: Kotohira Electric Railway "Kataharamachi Station" ... about 5 minutes on foot / JR Takamatsu Station → → [Kotohira Electric Railway] Takamatsu-Chikko Station ... about 15 minutes on foot
- Language: English, Chinese (Simplified), Korean
- Credit cards: VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, Diners Club International (varies depending on the store)
YouMe Town Takamatsu
YouMe Town Takamatsu is a shopping mall that opened in 1998. There are around 160 stores specializing things such as fashion and miscellaneous goods, restaurants and amusement facilities. In addition, it is a large area, so it is boasts the largest scale as the representative shopping facility of Shikoku.
In YouMe Town Takamatsu, there are many shops lined up that where people can buy Kagawa souvenirs such as Sanuki Udon from Sanuki Mengyo and Manju made by wrapping Kimian and frying it, from Japanese confectionery store Meibutsu Kamado. Prices are around 1000 yen (Information accurate on July 2019).
- Spot name: YouMe Town Takamatsu
- Street address: 608-1 Sanjocho, Takamatsu City, Kagawa Prefecture 761-8072
- Access: Kotohira Electric Railway "Sanjo Station" ... about 8 minutes on foot / Takamatsu Station → [shopping rainbow circular route bus] about 23 minutes → “YouMe Town Takamatsu Mae” bus stop. It’s right by the bus stop
- Language：Only Japanese
- Credit cards：VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, Diners Club International
In Takamatsu, a market called “Marché” is open regularly. This event is held once a month and the theme varies, but the stalls mainly sell Kagawa local food and ingredients. There are various famous specialities such as “chicken with bone” and food made with special olives from Shodoshima. We recommend the cosmetics and herbs made using olives, and baked snacks using Sanuki wheat as souvenirs.
Furthermore, there is another market called Tokiwagai Marché. Every month it is held in Tokiwamachi Shotengai Arcade. Miscellaneous items such as pouches, earrings, and other small accessories. Particularly, the desserts made with polymer clay look so real they will catch the eye. They come at a very affordable price at around 500 yen, so it’s worth checking out.