The bloom of cherry blossoms in Sendai is from mid to late April. The temperature during that period is so comfortable, that it is perfect for travel. In addition, Sendai has many cherry blossom spots which are convenient for tourists because they are near to train stations. In this article, we will introduce methods for fully enjoying Sendai during the bloom of cherry blossoms.
Sendai's Cherry Blossoms Spots
Tsutsujigaoka Park: The closest cherry blossom spot from Sendai Station
There are about 365 cheery trees of 19 varieties planted in "Tsutsujigaoka Park". Among them, the late-flowering Shidare-zakura have the most number and it is possible to see sakura for a longer period of time here than other spots with mostly Somei Yoshino (sakura). There are also illuminations which are open for 24 hours a day so you can also see cherry blossoms even at night. Festivals are held from the beginning of April to the beginning of May every year. You can see many lanterns and crowded stalls during the period.
- Spot name:
- Address: 1-3 Gorin, Miyagino-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 983-0842
- Access: a 15-minute walk from Sendai Station
- About a 2-minute ride on Senseki Line from Sendai Station. Get off at Tsujigaoka Station and walk for 5 minutes.
Nishi Park: A famous cherry blossom park accessed by a 10-minute walk from the center of Sendai
"Nishi Park" is a cherry blossom spot near the center of Sendai. About 200 cherry blossoms are planted in the garden. The best time of the year to visit is from early to mid-April. The park is open 24 hours a day and illuminations start at sunset until 22:00. There are multinational food stalls in the park where you can eat and see cherry blossoms at night. Flower viewing is basically free of charge but there are also some bar seats that charge.
- Spot name: Nishi Park
- Address: 1-3 Sakuragaokakoen, Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi 980-0823
- 3-minute walk from JR Sendai Station, 2-minute walk from Subway Tozai Line "Omachi Nishi-koen Station"
- 2-minute walk from JR Sendai Station, about a 10- minute walk from Subway Namboku Line "Hirose-dori Station"
- About a 30-minute walk from JR Sendai Station
Mikamine Park: Most cherry blossoms in Sendai
The "Mikamine Park" is a cherry blossom spot on the hill overlooking the city of Sendai. About 48 types of trees, with a total of 750 planted in the area. Some are early flowering while some are late flowering. As they bloom during different periods, you are able to see cherry blossoms here from early to late April. The park, where illuminations and festivals are held, opens 24 hours a day. You can admire "a ceiling of cherry blossoms" which is magnificent.
- Spot name: Mikamine Park
- Address: 1 Mikamine, Taihaku-ku, Sendai 982-0826
- About 30 minutes by municipal bus departing from JR Sendai Station. Get off at "Nishitaga 1-chome Nishi" and walk for about 5 minutes
- About 10 minutes by municipal bus departing from Subway Namboku Line "Nagamachi Minami Station". Get off at "Nishitaga 1-chome Nishi" and walk for about 5 minutes
Restaurants in Sendai: Enjoy food after viewing cherry blossoms!
Beef tongue is one of the Sendai's local gourmet food. Therefore, there are many restaurants here where you can eat beef tongue. In addition, zunda-mochi and zunda-sweets are also local gourmets that you should try when you visit Sendai. Stores serving them are located near the train stations, Jozenji-dori street, and other famous spots. To add, the seafood in Sendai is plentiful and delicious. After your heart is fulfilled with cherry blossoms, don't forget to fill your stomach with delicious Sendai's dishes!
Hotels in Sendai during the bloom of cherry blossoms
There are over 200 hotels in Sendai with many gathering around Sendai Station and tourist attractions. You can choose from an economy hotel to a luxury hotel. There are a variety of choices with hotels having good views, a luxurious feel and relaxing environments. Once you have enjoyed the local gourmet and taking in the beautiful sakura sights, it is time to take good rest in a comfortable room. In order to enjoy your wonderful trip fully, make sure to plan ahead for the best experience!
Access from Sendai Airport
To access the above mentioned cherry blossom spots, restaurants and hotels from Sendai Airport, it is recommended to head to Sendai Station first. It takes 26 minutes to arrive at Sendai Station by Sendai Airport Access Line.