Opened in 2001, the Osaka Museum of History is located in a tall building next to NHK Osaka and just across the street from Osaka Castle. You can enjoy excellent views of the castle from the museum's top floors.
Overview of Osaka Museum of History
The Osaka Museum of History is located just outside Osaka Castle Park. It is designed to give visitors a multi-dimensional experience of the 1,350-year history of Osaka, using life-size reconstructions, scale models, photographs and films.
The museum presents the city's history chronologically, beginning in ancient times when Osaka served as Japan's first capital and site of the Naniwa Palace, ending with displays on the city's shopping arcades of the early Showa Period.
Exhibition rooms are set up on the upper floors while the lower floors are occupied by a restaurant, shop and lobby. To begin the museum tour, visitors usually take the elevator to the top floor and then follow the exhibition route down.
How to Enjoy Osaka Museum of History
Two Routes Designed for Visitors
There are two courses designed for visitors to the museum: the shorter hour-long "Highlight Course," and the longer "Complete Course", as you work through the main exhibits on the 10th to 7th floors.
"Highlight Course" allows you to learn Osaka history in one hour by viewing the life-size reconstructions, scale models, photographs and films.
"Complete Course" gives a richer experience by visiting the museum more slowly. Therefore you can enjoy all of the individual exhibits at your own pace.
Highlight: You Can Try on Kimono Here!
On the 10th, 9th, and 7th floors featured permanent exhibitions, the museum offers hands-on programs associated with the theme of each floor. In such programs, you can experience putting on old-fashioned kimono (7th floor) and clothes in the style of public officials of the Nara era (10th floor).
Hours and Admission
- Hours: 9:30-17:00 (Please Enter 30 Minutes Prior To Closing).
- Closed: Every Tuesday (closed the following Wednesday when holidays fall on Tuesday); New Year holidays (28 December - 4 January).
- Individuals: adults 600 yen, high school and university students 400 yen.
- Groups (20+): adults 540 yen, high school and university students 360 yen.
- Separate charges for special exhibitions
Discount Package Ticket
The museum offers package tickets for the Osaka Castle Museum (donjon) at Osaka Castle and the Osaka Museum of History (permanent exhibitions).
- Price: 900 yen for the general public and senior high school and college students.
*You can buy the package tickets at the Osaka Castle Museum at Osaka Castle and the Osaka Museum of History.
*The package ticket is valid for one person and for one entrance to each place. Also, the tickets are valid for six months from the ticket sale date. The tickets become invalid if detached before entrance.
- Name: Osaka Museum of History
- Address: 1-32 Otemae 4-Chome, Chuo-ku, Osaka City, 540-0008
- When visiting by train:
- Get off at Tanimachi 4-Chome Station on the Osaka Municipal Subway’s Tanimachi Line and walk to the east about 300 m from Exit 2.
- Get off at Tanimachi 4-Chome Station on the Osaka Municipal Subway’s Chuo Line and you’ll find the Museum right next to Exit 9.
- Visiting by bus: The Museum is located right next to Osaka Municipal Bus’s Banbacho Bus Stop.