The Utoro region is located at the northwestern parts of Hokkaido. In Ainu language, the name ‘Uturu-ci-kus-i’ originally means ‘At this time-we-cross-the place’ or, the place where we cross at the time.
With a low population density of a thousand people, Utoro attracts many visitors thanks to its famed onsen as well as the natural surroundings such as Kamuiwakka Falls or Shiretoko Five Lakes which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Walk to Cape Utoro where you can have an amazing view of the large Godzilla Rock. A small restaurant with great atmosphere can also be found at the foot of the Rock. It is called Utoro Gyokyo Fujinbu Shokudo(ウトロ漁協婦人部食堂), and they serve fresh seafood set meals at a reasonable price. Budget around 1,000 yen to 1,500 yen for a great set lunch.
- Spot name: Utoro Gyokyo Fujinbu Shokudo
- Street address: 117 Utorohigashi, Shari Town, Shari District, Hokkaido
- Access: Located near the Godzilla Rock.
One of the most popular attraction near Utoro is the Shiretoko National Park. Shiretoko can trace the origin of its name from the Ainu language word ‘sir etok’, which means ‘the end of the Earth‘ or ‘the place where the Earth protrudes’.
Stay at one of these hotels to have better access to the national park, and a wonderful view from their hot spring.
A Great Budget Hotel, Bon's Home, is on the northern Utoro. The homestay is suited for travellers because it is near the Shiretoko National Park and also have restaurants nearby. The dormitory is 4,350 yen per night.
If you want a beautiful view from their onsen, Shiretoko Noble Hotel is an affordable place to stay. A stay at this hotel per night is around 18,000 yen.
- Spot name: Bon's Home
- Street address: 217 Utorohigashi, Shari, Shari District, Hokkaido 099-4355
- Access: A 40-minutes drive away from the Shiretoko Five Lake National Park. The closest airport is Nakashibetsu airport, which is an hour drive away.
- Spot name: Shiretoko Noble Hotel
- Street address: 3 Utorohigashi, Shari Town, Shari District, Hokkaido 099-4355
- Access: Only 5-minute walk away from the Shiretoko World Heritage Center. Drive for 30 minutes from the hotel to reach the Shiretoko Five Lakes.
The source of the Utoro onsen is melted ice as well as underground streams. The hot spring water is slightly alkaline, and feels comfortable against the skin. At the same time, you can enjoy the sight of the natural surrounding - flowers, trees and blue skies. At a selection of onsen, you can even look out to the Okhotsk Sea! Ah, so calming.
- Spot name: Utoro (ウトロ)
- Street address: Utorokagawa, Shari, Shari District, Hokkaido 099-4351
- Access: Take the Shiretoko Airport Liner from Memanbetsu Airport to the Utoro Onsen area. It is 3,300yen for an all day ticket. While bus services are available, we recommend visitors to rent a car for better mobility in Hokkaido.