There are many famous places for cherry blossoms in Kyoto such as the row of cherry blossom trees that are blooming beautifully or cherry blossom trees that are over 100 years old. Cherry blossom in Kyoto normally bloom at the end of March and will be in full bloom in early of April. Please enjoy the beautiful spring scenery which are rich in uniqueness.
Kyoto's best spots for viewing cherry blossom
When walking to the east from Kawaramachi Street which passes through the center of North-South Kyoto city, a famous place for cherry blossom is along “Kamogawa” which beautifully dyes the river bank with full bloom cherry-blossom. Various types of cherry blossom will bloom such as Yoshino cherry tree and weeping cherry tree. It is also nice to walk slowly along Kamogawa River while viewing cherry blossom.
- Get off at Kyoto city bus "Shijyo Keihan Mae" bus stop, a short walk
- Get off at Keihan Train "Gion Shijyo" station, a short walk
- Get off at Hankyu Railway Kyoto Line "Kawaramachi Station", walk about 5 minutes
The weeping cherry tree in the middle of Maruyama Park, which is near to Yasaka Shrine, is beautifully lit up during flower season from late March to mid April every year.
- Street address: Maruyama cho, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto 605-0071
- Get off at Kyoto City bus "Gion" bus stop, a short walk
- Get off at Keihan Railway "Gion Shijyo" station, about 10 minutes walk
- Get off at Higashiyama station on Hankyu Railway Kyoto Line, about 10 minutes walk
The famous Kiyomizu temple is also a famous spot for brightly decorated cherry blossom with about 1,000 types such as Yoshino cherry trees and wild cherry trees. Normally the best time to see these is early April. Special night worshiping is also performed and you can enjoy fantastic cherry blossom that have been lit up.
- Spot name: Kiyomizu Temple
- Street address: 294 Shimizu Icchome, Higashiyama-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto 605-0862
- Get off at Kyoto City Bus "Gojozaka" "Shimizu-do" bus stop, about 10 minutes walk
- Get off at Keihan Train "Shimizu Gojo" station about 25 minutes walk
Cherry blossom Festival in Kyoto
Festivals will be held at various places during the cherry blossom season.
Jikkoku Bune boat ride
The Jikkoku Bune boat ride is held along Okazaki Sosui when the cherry blossom has bloom until the fresh green leaves become beautiful. The Jikkoku Bune boat ride will travel around Sosui about 3km round trip approximately 25 minutes. The best time to see cherry blossom is when it is lit up and becomes very fantastic and beautiful.
- Spot name: Jikkoku Bune boat ride
- Street address: Nanzenji kusagawa-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto 606-8437
- Access: 7 minutes walk from the Kyoto municipal subway "Keage"
Cherry Blossom Festival
Hirano Shrine is famous for its cherry blossom in Kyoto. There are about 60 types of cherry blossom and 400 cherry trees bloom here. There are unusual cherry blossom that can only be seen at Hirano Shrine and you can enjoy various cherry blossom. Ouka-sai festival is held on the 10th of April every year and about 200 people dressed in princess and warrior attire of different era march through the city.
- Spot name: Hirano Shrine
- Street address: 1 Hirano Miyamoto-cho, Kita-ku, Kyoto, Kyoto 603-8322
- Access: Get off at Keifuku electric Railroad "Kitano Hakubaicho" station, about 10 minutes walk
Tea party at Bishamon-do Temple
About 50 cherry trees in full bloom in the compound of Bishamon-do temple, such as Yoshino cherry tree and weeping cherry trees. Especially the weeping cherry tree which is more than 150 years has a presence. While watching the cherry blossom, tea ceremony is also provided and Japanese harp are played.
- Spot name: Bishamon-do Temple
- Street address: 18 Anshu Inariyama-cho, Yama shina-ku, Kyoto. Kyoto 607-8003
- Access: Get off at JR "Yamashina" station, walk about 20 minutes