Products made in Japan are typical of very high quality. The price is high but it gives a sense of security. It is a luxurious life rooted in Japanese culture where high-quality fruit was given as a gift from long ago. In Japanese cuisine, fruits are treated as ‘sweets’ or desserts. Recently, there are also foreigners who ordered Japanese fruit after returning to their country. This time, we will take a look at Japanese peaches, which are treated as a dessert from their fragrance!
Difference between peaches from Japan and Southeast Asia or China
Japanese peaches are juicy and characterized by their smooth texture. They have a rounded plump exterior and a sweet scent. Unlike European food culture that processes fruits, Japanese like to eat as it is. Japanese people pursue a sweeter sugar content, color, and beauty when it comes to fruit. The variety and the quality are very high thanks to the unstinted effort of manufacturers. Since peaches are easily damaged, they are wrapped in a fruit cap and sold as so even when they're not specifically being grown as gifts. Peaches originated from China and spread to Persia, Greece, and Rome following the Silk Road. There is a peach in China called the "Saturn peach" which is very sweet.
How to eat peaches deliciously
First of all, we learn how to choose delicious peaches. It must be bilaterally symmetrical, well-shaped, and have a beautiful color. It should have a strong fragrance with fuzz on the whole skin, finally, the color should be covered until the axis (branch) without scratches.
Cool it in a refrigerator for about two hours and then wash it with cold water. After you have wiped off the moisture, place the knife at the groove and cut around the seed. Next, twist the peach lightly with both hands to divide it into two, and extract the seed. When peeling off the skin, peel off from the part of the butt heading to the part where the branch was attached. You can peel it off even by hand for softer peaches.
Peaches have higher sugar content at the butt (bottom fruit part), so cut into vertical comb form, start from the branch side when you eat, and you will feel the sweetness until the end.
※There are freestone and clingstone types depending on the type of peach.
The recommendation of commercial farmers for the most delicious way of eating a peach is thoroughly washing to drop off the fuzz and eat it as a whole without peeling off the skin.
Check out some delicious peach recipes!
Raw Peach Smoothie
- Peach (ripe) 1 piece
- Milk 100 cc
- Plain yogurt 100 g
- Honey 1 tablespoon (10 g)
- Remove the peach skin and seed then slice.
- Place all the ingredients in a mixer and mix until smooth.
- Adjust the amount of honey depending on the sweetness of the peach.
- Peach 1 piece
- Water 200ml
- Sugar 50 g
- Lemon juice 1/2 teaspoon
- Gelatin powder 3g
- Hot water 3 tablespoon
- Lemon juice 1 teaspoon
- Peel off the peach skin and extract the seed.
- Put the peach, water, sugar, and lemon juice in a saucepan and boil it for 2 to 3 minutes under low heat.
- Store in another container and keep it cool for half a day in the refrigerator.
- Melt gelatin powder with hot water.
- Mix the peach and no.3 juice 100ml with a blender until even.
- Add lemon juice and gelatin to no.5 and mix well, transfer it to a container, and put it in a refrigerator, and done!
It will look trendier if you decorate with peach cuts or whip cream!
Plantations where peach picking is possible and its season
Area: Suburb of Tokyo
- Yamanashi Prefecture
- Period: mid-June to August
- Address: 2281-1 Iino, Minami Alps City, Yamanashi Prefecture
- English communication is possible
Area: Osaka suburbs
- Okayama Prefecture
- Period: July to September
- Address: 218-1 Kamiichi, Akaiwa-shi, Okayama-ken
- Chinese, Korean, English websites are available
- Address: 1077 Nibori Higashi, Akaiwa-shi, Okayama Prefecture
- Chinese · English website available
Area: Fukuoka suburb
- Period: July to August
- Address: 777-2, Miharu, Ukiha-cho, Ukiha-shi, Fukuoka Prefecture
- English correspondence is available
Refer FUKUOKA NOW
- English・Korean・Chinese is available