If you go to Gifu prefecture for a trip, you will find lots of Japan-style scenery, such as castles, landscapes and so on. If you want to travel to great places in Gifu, and enjoy the uniqueness of Japan, please refer to this article.
3 Recommended Places when Traveling to Gifu Prefecture
Gifu Prefecture, located in the center of Japan, has some great spots where you can feel the scenery of Japan, a rich food culture, and a world heritage site. It is the place you’ll want to visit when visiting Japan.
Gifu Castle has been selected as one of "Japan’s Top 100 Castles". Below it, flows the Nagara gawa River which has been selected as one of "Japan's Top 100 Waters,". In front, there is Mount Ibuki of "Japan's 100 Famous Mountains" with an altitude of 1377 meters. When you come to Gifu Castle, you can see three of Japan’s famous sights at once.
- Spot name: Gifu Castle
- Street address: 18, Gifu city, Gifu prefecture 500-0000
- Access: From JR Gifu Station (platform no. 11/12/13) or Meitetsu Gifu Station (platform no. 4), take the N route (for Nagarabashi) and the city loop left-handed bus. Get off at “Gifu Koen Rekishi Hakubutsukan-mae”, 3-minute walk to Gifu Park (Get on Mount Kinka Ropeway for 4 minutes, walk 8 minutes to get to Gifu Castle).
Monet’s Pond (Itadori Flower Park)
Monet’s Pond originally had no name, but it became the subject of SNS as “too beautiful place”. Because of beautiful water lilies that sprout on the water, as if it were the famous painting of the French Artist Monet, the pond was named “Monet’s Pond”.
- Spot name: Monet's Pond
- Street address: Kamigase1643-17, Itadori, Seki Shi, Gifu
- Access: Hop on the Itadori Fureai Bus from "Horado Kiwi Plaza" bus stop, get off at Ajisaien-mae stop. Monet Pond is immediately next to it.
At Shirakawa-go, you can see Japanese-style scenery such as the traditional buildings called “Gassho Zukuri”, which was registered as a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1995, and the activities of people living in the village. You can see the beautiful town surrounded by greenery and flowers during summer, and the spectacular town covered deep in snow during winter.
- Spot name: Shirakawa-go
- Street address: 517 Hatotani Shirakawa, Ōno-gun, Gifu
- Access: From Takayama Station side, approx. 50 minutes by Takayama Nohi Bus Center heading for Shirakawa-go, get off at Shirakawa-go
Recommended Restaurants when traveling to Gifu Prefecture
If you're traveling to Gifu prefecture, you definitely want to taste Hida Gyu or Hida Beef.
Hida Kotte Ushi
"Hida Kotte Ushi" in Takayama is a restaurant where you can eat "Hida Beef. "Hida Beef" is famous in Japan and is one of the best brand meats. "Hida Beef Nigiri", which puts the meat into a traditional Japanese Nigiri sushi is an excellent dish. You should definitely come to Gifu Prefecture and try it.
- Spot name: Hida Kotte Ushi
- Street address: 34 Kamisannomachi Takayama, Gifu
- Access: 7-minute walk from Takayama Station
Accessibility from the Airport to Gifu Prefecture
Narita Airport to Gifu Prefecture
If you go there from Narita Airport, go to "Shinagawa Station" by using a train such as the Narita Express. From there, take JR Tokaido Shinkansen to "Nagoya Station", and then take JR Tokaido Main Line to "Gifu Station", or to the nearest station to whichever tourist spot you want to go.
In some cases, it may be better to use a bus from Nagoya Station or Gifu Station.
Chubu Centrair International Airport to Gifu Prefecture
If you’re coming directly to Gifu prefecture, it is recommended you use "Chubu Centrair International Airport". It is nearest to Gifu Prefecture. For access from "Chubu Centrair International Airport", go to "Nagoya Station" by Nagoya Railway Mu Sky. The rest is the same as written above.