If we’re speaking of Nagoya’s famous product then it has to be Nagoya delicacies. It has spread all across the nation. Dishes which could represent Nagoya’s unique delicacies come in a large variety, such as chopped kabayaki eel on rice, miso katsu, kishimen (flap strips of noodle), Taiwanese ramen, Ankake Spaghetti, Ogura Toast and more.
Do you want to fully enjoy Nagoya? Then, visit these restaurants!
Atsuta Horaiken (あつた蓬莱軒)
Established in 1873, you can taste fragrant unagi (eels) which were grilled on high grade charcoal of ubame oak at the seasoned restaurant, Atsuta Horaiken. These finely chopped unagi are place on rice in a round wooden container for cooked rice, splashed with dashi of seaweed and wasabi to become a ‘Hitsumabushi’.
- Spot name: Atsuta Horaiken Main Restaurant (あつた蓬莱軒(本店))
- Street address: 503 Godocho, Atsuta Ward, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture 456-0043, Japan
- Open Time: 11.30 am - 2.00 pm (Last order), 4. 30 pm 8.30pm (Last order)
- Closed：Every Wednesday, Second and Fourth Thursday. (Operates on a holiday)
- Access: 7-minute walk from the Temma-chō Station (Meijō Line)
Yamamotoya Sohonke (山本屋総本家)
Representing a famous product of Nagoya is the miso tasted udon from the well-established store Yamamotoya Sohonke. Because it is raw udon when boiled in miso soup, it brings out its flavour. This is where you can taste the elasti and rigorousness, which is impossible to reproduce elsewhere.
- Spot name: Yamamotoya Sohonke (山本屋總本家(本家))
- Street address: 3 Chome-12-19 Sakae, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi-ken 460-0008, Japan
- Open Time: Regular days 11.00am -3.00pm, 5.00 pm- 10.00pm (Last order 9.00pm), Weekends / Festivities 11.00 am - 10.00pm (Last Order 9.00pm)
- Closed: Every Wednesday, End of the year, start of the year.
- Access: A 7-minute walk from Yabachō Station (Meijo Line)
Speaking of Nagoya specialties, it is the miso katsu. The shop where was founded in 1947 is "Yabaton". A half century since then we are still fixated on this delicious "miso katsu" meal. It is important to balance the dish with well-selected ingredients, the right way to fry the pork cutlet and miso sauce.
- Spot name: Misokatsu Yabaton (矢場とん 本店)
- Street address: 3-6-18 Osu, Naka Ward, Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture 460-0011, Japan
- Open Time: 11.00 am - 9.00pm
- Closed：Always open.
- Access: A 5-minute walk from the no.4 exit of Yabachō Station (Meijo Line)
The surface of the fried chicken wings of Fuuraibo is crisp and spicy, and when chewed, it is juicy. Since the establishment of the store, we have continued to maintain the sauce, formula and its unchanging delicious flavor. It is very famous, and now the number of stores including the overseas branches are more than 80.
- Spot name: Fuuraibou（Sakae Branch）
- Street address: 4 Chome-5-8 Sakae, Naka-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi-ken 460-0008
- Open Time: Monday to Thursday 5.00pm - 12.00 Midnight （Last order at 11.30pm). Friday to Sunday 5.00am - 1.00am(Last order at 12.00 Midnight).
- Closed: Sundays
- Access: Take Exit 12 at the Sakae Station, it is a 3-minute walk from the exit.
Komeda's Coffee (珈琲所コメダ珈琲店)
The next Nagoya delicacy is a basic coffee shop menu item, the 'Ogura Toast'. Toasted bread with butter and sweet beans "Ogura" is what you must try here. Even among numerous "Nagoya meals", the coffee shop Komeda's coffee shop has a distinctive coffee shop culture and breakfast set, the "Ogura Toast”.
- Spot name: Komeda's Coffee [珈琲所コメダ珈琲店(名古屋駅西店)]
- Street address: 2 Chome-3-2 Noritake, Nakamura-ku, Nagoya-shi, Aichi-ken 453-0014, Japan
- Open Time: 7.00 am - 11.00pm On sundays/ festive holidays: 7.00 am - 9.00pm
- Closed: None
- Access: 4-minute walk from JR Nagoya Station