I am sure in your country you find Yoshinoya restaurants in many places. Have you tried their beef bowl? A lot of Japanese people love beef bowl because the taste is so nice also the cost performance won`t ruin your wallet.
This time we would like to introduce how to make your homemade Japanese beef bowl. The ingredients are simple and no need a long time to cook.
Ingredients (Serving for 2):
- ½ onion
- 1 green onion/scallion
- ½ cup dashi (1/2 cup = 120 ml)
- 1 Tbsp sake
- 2 Tbsp mirin
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ¾ lb thinly sliced beef (chuck or rib eye) (3/4 lb = 12 oz = 340 g) (See Note)
- 2 Tbsp pickled red ginger (beni shoga or kizami beni shoga)
Gather all the ingredients.
- If you cannot find sliced beef in your local grocery store, freeze a block of fresh chuck or rib eye for 1-2 hours and slice. See this post for detailed instructions. After you slice, if the piece is too large then cut them in half. I use "Komagire cut" from my local market and I cut them further into smaller pieces.
- Cut the onion into thinly slices and chop the green onion. Set aside.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat and add dashi, sugar, sake, mirin, and soy sauce.
- Cover the lid and bring the sauce to boil. Once the sauce is boiling, add the sliced onions and spread them out. Cover to cook until tender (if you don’t cover, the sauce will evaporate, so make sure you cover the lid).
- When the onion is tender, add the beef and cook until no longer pink. Skim the foam or fat with a fine mesh sieve.
- Serve the meat and sauce over steamed rice.
- Put pickled red ginger as a topping of the bowl.