Mt. Kirishima has many hiking courses where you can thoroughly enjoy the magnificence of nature. Mt. Kirishima is the generic name for the group of volcanic mountains in the southern part of Kyushu, at the juncture of Miyazaki Prefecture and Kagoshima Prefecture. The mountains range between Mt. Karakuni and the Takachiho-no-Mine Volcano. In addition to the mountains, you can also enjoy the lakes and marshes.
Enjoy Hiking on Mt. Kirishima
There are several appealing hiking courses on Mt. Kirishima, with courses that start at the Ebino Kogen Highlands, and courses that explore the Takachiho Summit on the Miyazaki Prefecture side. Any one of the courses offers a chance to take in the magnificent nature of Mt. Kirishima.
Some notes on hiking on Mt. Kirishima:
Access to Mt. Kirishima may be restricted due to volcanic activity. Be aware that hiking is not possible when the mountains are restricted. Also, as the temperature drops near the summit, be sure to prepare warm clothing.
The Takachiho Summit Course
The Takachiho-Gawara dry river bed is located at an altitude of 970 meters and is considered the southern entrance to Mt. Kirishima. It is the base camp for climbing to the Takachiho Summit, and during the climbing season, it is crowded with many mountain climbers and hikers. At the Takachiho-Gawara dry river bed, there is a visitors' center, a park service center that also serves as a resting space, and a shop. You can deepen your understanding of the nature of Mt. Kirishima by visiting the visitors' center either before or after climbing. In the forest, there is a wildlife observation post, where you can see wild animals in their natural habitat. Also, the area is known as the origin for a famous variety of azalea called the "Miyama Kirishima", and there are a large variety of trees in the rich natural landscape. You can see many amazing scenic spots, such as the reddish-brown climbing path, and volcanic craters. On the summit, there is a pike from Japanese legend, thrust into the mountain, called the "Amanosaka Hoko", so you can see a bit of Japanese medieval mythology for yourself.
The Ebino Kogen Highlands Course
The course that departs from the Ebino Kogen Highlands side of the mountain range is a classic course designed to take you to the highest point in the range, Mt. Karakuni. From the Ebino Kogen Highlands to the summit is about a 520-meter difference in altitude, about 3,000 meters in distance, and takes about 1 and a half to 2 hours to complete. The course begins at the Ebino Eco-Museum Center, then you pass by Mt. Io and head towards the summit of Mt. Karakuni. Once you pass Mt. Io, the path becomes very steep until nearly at the summit. It is a basic hiking course that follows a set path. Along the way, the scenery spreads out before you, with views of Mt. Io, Fudo-ike crater lake, and the Ebino Kogen Highlands.
Access for Hiking in Kirishima
From Tokyo to the hiking area of Kirishima, take an airplane from Haneda Airport to Miyazaki Airport, then a bus from Miyazaki Airport and get off at the "Miyako City" Miyazaki Kotsu bus center. From Miyako City, get on the bus to the "Kobayashi Bus Center" and get off at the "Ebino Kogen" bus stop. (Miyazaki Kotsu busses run on Saturday and Sunday, from the end of April till November.)
- Spot name： Ebino Eco-Museum Center
- Street Address：1495-5, Suenaga, Ebino City, Miyazaki Prefecture
- Access: Miyazaki Airport → take [Miyazaki Kotsu Bus] approximately 10 minutes → Miyako City → take [Miyazaki Kotsu Bus] approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes → Kobayashi Bus Center → take [Miyazaki Kotsu Bus] approximately 50 minutes → Ebino Kogen Highlands
- Wi-Fi: Unavailable
- Language：Japanese Only
- Credit cards：No Credit Cards Accepted
- Spot name： Takachiho-Gawara Visitors' Center
- Street Address：2583-12, Kirishima-Taguchi, Kirishima City, Kagoshima Prefecture
- Access: Miyazaki Airport → take [Miyazaki Kotsu Bus] approx. 10 minutes → Miyako City → take [Miyazaki Kotsu Bus] approx. 1 hour and 30 minutes → Kobayashi Bus Center → take [Miyazaki Kotsu Bus] approx. 50 minutes → Ebino Kogen → take [Kirishima Mountain Tour Bus] About 29 minutes → Takachiho-Gawara
- Wi-Fi: Unvailable
- Language：Only Japanese
- Credit cards：No Credit Cards Accepted