Shiogama, Sanriku has flourished as a temple town and port city since ancient times. Shiogama is full of various tourist attractions such as historic sites and local gourmets. In this article, we will introduce Shiogama, Sanriku where you can find lots of sightseeing spots.
About Shiogama, Sanriku
Shiogama is located in the center of Miyagi Prefecture in Tohoku region. As there are four train stations in the city, it is easy to access many of its tourist destinations. If you travel by train or bus from there, you can reach Sendai, which is the largest city in the Tohoku region, in around 20 minutes.
The city has many shrines and shops that have operated historically. Shiogama also faces Sendai Bay and is famous for its fresh seafood. While Shiogama benefits from its coastal position, it is also an area that has been damaged by tsunami.
Things to do in Shiogama, Sanriku
Shiogama Shrine has a history of more than 1,200 years. You can make prayers here for victory and traffic safety. There is a staircase in the site called Otokozaka with 202 steps. It is believed that one's energy will rise when he climbs the stone staircase. Shiogama-Zakura (cherry blossoms), which is designated as a national natural monument, is planted in the shrine.
- Spot name: Shiogama Shrine
- Street Address：1-1 Ichimoriyama, Shiogama, Miyagi
- Access：About a 15-minute walk from JR Senseki Line Hon-Shiogama Station to Ishitorii in Omotesando. It takes approximately 7 minutes on foot to Ishitorii in Higashisando.
Shiogama Fish Market
You can buy fresh seafood caught from the Shiogama Bay at this market. The seafood you purchase can be grilled and eaten right on the spot. A rice set is also available, allowing tourists to make their own seafood don with their favorite ingredients.
- Spot name: Shiogama Fish Market
- Street Address: 1-20-74 Shinhamacho, Shiogama, Miyagi
- Access: About a 15-minute walk from Higashi-Shiogama Station
Shiogama is an area affected by the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake. A tsunami hit the coastal area of the city. The height of the waves ranged from 1.5m to 4.8m. The Shiogama Tsunami Disaster Prevention Center was established in 2018 and the city is working on disaster prevention.
Restaurants in Shiogama, Sanriku
Otokoyama is a famous creative restaurant in Shiogama. You can eat dishes made by utilizing fresh seafood from the city. Each menu item is carefully prepared and served elegantly. You can also drink local sake there.
- Spot name: Otokoyama Shiogama
- Street Address: 10-26 Motomachi, Shiogama, Miyagi
- Access: Approximately a 8-minute walk from Hon-shiogama Station
Hotels in Shiogama, Sanriku
Smile Hotel Shiogama
Free Wifi is available inside the hotel. The bathtub in each room is large enough for people of height 180 cm to fully extend their legs. There is also a canteen which offers more than 20 types of menu items at all times.
- Spot name: Smile Hotel Shiogama
- Street Address: 18-31 Shintomi-Cho, Shiogama-Shi, Miyagi
- Access: About a 10-minute walk from JR Senseki Line Hon-Shiogama Station Aqua Gate Exit
- By train from Tokyo: take the Tohoku Shinkansen from Tokyo Station to Sendai Station. Transfer to JR Tohoku Main Line at Sendai Station and get off at Shiogama Station.
- By plane: fly to Sendai Airport and take Sendai Airport Access Line at the airport to reach Sendai Station. Transfer to JR Tohoku Main Line at Sendai Station and get off at Shiogama Station.