Matsushima is located in Miyagi prefecture and is one of The Three Best Views of Japan. Matsushima is also a popular tourist destination for Japanese people. It is a recommended spot for learning Japanese history and enjoying the four seasons of Japan.
About The Three Best Views Of Japan
"Japan Sankei" means three major scenery that are representative of Japan, this include three major spots: Miyagi Prefecture's Matsushima, Kyoto Prefecture's Amanohashidate, and Hiroshima Prefecture's Miyajima. All along the coast, it is a historic land appeared in Japanese poetry and Japanese paintings.
Matsushima, located in Miyagi Prefecture of Japan, consists of 260 islands. Matsushima is a tourist destination that offers superb views of the 260 islands and Matsushima Bay.
Highlights of Matsushima
Matsushima has long fascinated people's hearts since it is historically depicted in Japanese poetry and Japanese painting. There are many enjoyable tourist spots in Matsushima.
Nihon-Sankei Watchtower, an observation deck now, was originally a symbolic tourist hotel. Nihon-Sankei Watchtower is also called "Matsushima Castle" because it looks like a castle in Japan. From the observation deck, you can see the islands and ships coming and going from the Matsushima Bay in 360 degrees.
- Spot name: Nihon-Sankei Watchtower
- Address: 115 Matsushima-aza-machiuchi, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi
- Access: a 10-minute walk from JR Senseki Line Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Matsushima Bay-Sightseeing boat
The Matsushima Bay Sightseeing Boat allows you to see the scenery of Matsushima Bay and the islands from the boat. It is recommended because you feel yourself very close to the nature of Matsushima. There are various courses of the Matsushima Bay Sightseeing Boat. It is the best for you to choose according to the purpose and time.
- Spot name: Matsushima Bay-Sightseeing boat
- Address: 85 Matsushima-aza-machiuchi, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: A 5-minute walk from JR Sensenki Line Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Godaido Temple is a symbolic spot among the tourist attractions in Matsushima. The Buddhist temple has a history of more than 1200 years and is designated as an Important Cultural Property of Japan. The statues of the five great wisdom kings, which are rarely shown to the public, are exhibited once every 33 years. The next exhibition will be in 2039.
- Spot name: Godaido Temple
- Address: 111, Matsushima-aza-machiuchi, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi
- Access: a 7-minute walk from JR Senseki Line Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Recommended restaurants in Matsushima
Matsushima is not just for sightseeing as there are also various appetizing dishes. If you visit Matsushima, you should try the delicious local gourmet food.
Matsushima Fish Market
"Matsushima Fish Market" is a restaurant where you can eat fresh seafood landed around Matsushima Bay. It is no exaggeration to say that the market represents Matsushima. In this restaurant, you can taste not only dishes made with seafood such as seafood don, but also beef tongue, which is a specialty gourmet food of the Miyagi Prefecture.
- Spot name: Matsushima Fish Market
- Address: 4-10 Fugendo, Matsushima-aza, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: a 10 minute-walk from JR Senseki Line Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Gyutan Sumiyaki Rikyu Matsushima
Beef tongue is a must when you pay a visit to Miyagi. The “Gyutan Sumiyaki Rikyu Matsushima” is a typical restaurant where you can enjoy beef tongue. Beef tongue stew is definitely an excellent choice of menu, not to mention the standard beef tongue set meal. The “Gyutan Sumiyaki Rikyu Matsushima” is recommended as it has easy access from train station that you can reach at ease.
- Spot name: Gyutan Sumiyaki Rikyu Matsushima
- Address: 45 Matsushima-aza-machiuchi, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: a 3-minute walk from JR Senseki Line Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Recommended hotels in Matsushima
If you stay at a hotel in Matsushima, you should choose a hotel whose room has a view of Matsushima itself. Check out the hotels where you can enjoy Matsushima's food and hot springs.
Hotel Matsushima Taikanso
"Hotel Matsushima Taikanso" is located on the high ground of Matsushima. The open-air bath is so special that you can see the scenery of Matsushima while taking a bath. The restaurant serves not only Japanese, Western and Chinese cuisine, but also Matsushima's unique gourmet food. You can choose from mountain view guest rooms which are united with nature and seaside guest rooms which have a panoramic view of the Matsushima Bay.
- Spot name: Hotel Matsushima Taikanso
- Address: 10-76 Inuta, Matsushima-aza, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: About 5 minutes by private shuttle bus from JR Senseki Line Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Ooedo Onsen Monogatari Matsushima-Onsen Hotel Sohkan
The “Ooedo Onsen Monogatari Matsushima-Onsen Hotel Sohkan” is a popular hotel having hot springs that are good for skin. Guests are fascinated by the magnificent views of the Matsushima Bay and the comfortable hot springs. The buffet in the hotel is also delicious as it allows you to fully enjoy Matsushima's local gourmet food. There are tourist attractions in the area around the hotel so you can easily access them.
- Spot name: Ooedo Onsen Monogatari Matsushima-Onsen Hotel Sohkan
- Address: 1-1 Isozakiazahama, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: About 10 minutes by a private shuttle bus departing from JR Tohoku Main Line Matsushima Station or JR Senseki Line Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Access to Matsushima from airport
It takes about 3 hours from Haneda Airport to Sendai Airport. Then about 30 minutes from Sendai Airport to Sendai Station by Sendai Airport Access Line. Finally it takes about 25 minutes from Sendai Station to Matsushima Station by JR Tohoku Main Line.