Hiroshima Downtown is an area that is active with a lot of people visiting the area. This downtown area of Hiroshima is most likely one of the busiest places within the district, where it has a lot of shops and restaurants. Located also near the Peace Park, makes it a not-to-be-missed spot when you are already in the area. Come here if you want to look for delicious local foods, looking for some souvenirs, or even just to enjoy the energy flowing in the area.
Hiroshima Downtown’s is a bustling area full of shops and restaurants. Located not far from the Hiroshima Memorial Peace Park, Hiroshima Downtown is normally frequented by travelers who roam around in the area, looking for goods and items, and also to try the number of restaurants to have a taste of the local dishes of Hiroshima.
The most well-known part in this is the Hondori street. Spans about 500 meters across the downtown area, it starts from the Hiroshima Memorial Peace Park, and ends straight to the east. You can easily recognize the area by the long-stretched covered pathway once you reach the Hondori station.
- Spot name: Hondori Street, Hiroshima Downtown
- Street address: Hondori, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima-ken 730-0035, Japan
- Direct access from Hondori Station
- 3-minute walk south of Tatemachi Station
- 3-minute walk south of Kamiyacho-Higashi Station
- 16-minute on the train from Hiroshima Station
Enjoy Dinner in Hiroshima Downtown
It is sad if you stay the night near Hiroshima Downtown, but didn’t try some of their local specialty. As mentioned above, Hiroshima Downtown also has a number of restaurants with local specialties. To make it easier, here are 3 picks of restaurant that you can find just within Hondori street:
This is one of the specialty restaurants that are known for its curry. Founded in 1984, the store is not that big, just enough to fit in up to 10 people. Using domestic meat, vegetables, and about a blend of about 20 spices, the specialty curry is being made carefully and set for 3 days.
You can customize the spiciness from the level 0 (mild) up to level 20. And if you manage to handle at least level 16, you will be awarded a special sticker. Think you can handle the spiciness?
- Spot name: Gariber
- Street address: 4-1 Hondori, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima-ken 730-0035, Japan
- Business Hour: 11 AM to 12 AM (last order: 11:30 PM)
- 3-minute walk southwest of Tatemachi Station
- 4-minute walk southeast of Kamiyacho-Higashi Station
- 6-minute walk east of Hondori Station
Suishin is a Hiroshima food specialty store, where they have most of Hiroshima’s specialty products such as the oyster and eels caught from the Seto Inland Sea to the south, Hiroshima’s beef, its vegetables from the mountains and many more. All of these ingredients are then presented beautifully to its guests.
Pricewise is a little bit on the pricier side, but if you wanted to try and enjoy the taste of Hiroshima in one place, Suishin is a place to consider and sits within the Hiroshima Downtown area.
- Spot name: Suishin
- Street address: 6-7 Tatemachi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima-ken 730-0032, Japan
- Business Hour: 11.30 AM to 10 PM
- 3-minute walk south of Tatemachi Station
- 3-minute walk southwest of Hatchobori Station
- 5-minute walk southeast of Kamiyacho-Higashi Station
- 7-minute walk east of Hondori Station
Hiroshima-style okonomiyaki is one of the things that you can only find here in Hiroshima. Well, I guess that is a given since it is called Hiroshima-style. The hiroshima-style is known for having noodles included in. So when you are ordering, you can choose to use soba (thin) or udon (thick) noodles. This place also serves its okonomiyaki with a special sauce, which will complement well with their okonomiyaki, where they have more tomatoes and less salt.
Do drop by this place if you are craving for some okonomiyaki, and also have a taste if the Hiroshima’s variant of okonomiyaki.
- Spot name: Okonomiyaki Nagataya
- Street address: Shigeishi bldg 1F, 1-7-19 Otemachi, Naka-ku, Hiroshima-shi, Hiroshima-ken 730-0051, Japan
- Business Hour: 11 AM to 9 PM (last order: 8:30 PM, or when sold out)
- 3-minute walk south of Genbaku Dome-mae Station
- 4-minute walk southwest of Kamiyacho-Nishi Station
- 4-minute walk west of Hondori Station