If you’re ever in Noboribetsu Hot Spring Town, there is no way you’re going to skip walking through the scenic Jigokudani-Oyunuma Path. Pick up a pamphlet to study the path before you begin. Of course, the hot springs are not to be missed too!
Noboribetsu Hot Springs
Being a Hot Spring Town, there are many places to stay in Noboribetsu Hot Spring (登別 温泉) area with hot spring included. There are 9 types of hot spring in Noboribetsu town such as sulphur spring, chloride spring, aluminium spring and more. What’s more, you can even experience hell on earth at the Noboribetsu Jigokudani (Noboribetsu Hell’s Valley).
Noboribetsu Hell’s Valley
Take the main course through Jigokudani to reach the best scenic spots - lookouts from Mt. Kuttara and more at the Noboribetsu Hell Valley. At night, the pathways are lit with lanterns, making it a romantic walk for couples or a challenge for friends to go through Hell’s Valley at night. Families can also enjoy looking at the night skies.
Path of Demon’s Fire
There is also a wonderful walk path called the Path of Demon’s Fire (鬼火の道) which leads to the Tessen Ike (鉄泉池) or Tessen pond, where you can see a boiling geyser with high iron content. The pond is in the center of the Hell’s Valley.
Besides that, there are also paths that takes you to the volcano of Mt. Hiyori, Lake Oyunuma (大湯沼) and Taisho Jigoku. For safety reasons, the Taisho Jigoku (大正地獄) area has been closed off until further notice since 2018 July.
River Oyunuma Natural Footbath
River Oyunumagawa Natural Footbath (大湯沼川天然足湯) is one of the top spots to visit in Noboribetsu Hot Spring Town as you take the path, you will eventually pass by this wonderful relaxing spot.
For those who would prefer a guide, tours are also available online from prices as low as 1,800 yen/person for the Night Tour of Noboribetsu Hell’s Valley.
- Spot name: Noboribetsu Hell’s Valley
- Street address: Noboribetsuonsencho, Noboribetsu, Hokkaido 059-0551, Japan
- Access: By train, it’s around two hour of travel from JR Sapporo Station. After you reach the JR Noboribetsu Station take the bus to Noboribetsu Onsen (20 minutes by bus)
A few places you could stay at Noboribetsu Hell’s Valley as they have amazing hot spring are Hotel Mahoroba or Iwai No Yado Noboribetsu Grand Hotel.
Iwai No Yado Noboribetsu Grand Hotel
At Iwai No Yado Noboribetsu Grand Hotel, you can try three of the nine mineral-rich types of water that spring in Noboribetsu. Plus, you can choose between open air baths or a Roman-themed indoor bath. Needless to say, it’s a luxurious stay in the chilly Hokkaido with room rates starting from 20,000yen.
- Spot name: Iwai No Yado Noboribetsu Grand Hotel
- Street address: 154 Noboribetsuonsencho, Noboribetsu-shi, Hokkaido
- Access: A 13-minutes drive from JR Noboribetsu station.
This strategically-placed hotel is within walking distance of Noboribetsu Onsen. Additionally, there are various facilities at the hotel such as hot springs, karaoke and convenience store. Room rate starts from 20,000yen per night. For dinner, you can enjoy a high quality seafood buffet depending on your hotel plan.
- Spot name: Hotel Mahoroba
- Street address: 65 Noboribetsu Onsencho, Noboribetsu 059-0551, Hokkaido
- Access: Shuttle bus is available from the Sapporo TV Tower at a reasonable price (500 yen, one way, reservation needed, 100 minutes). Other bus routes start from either Sapporo Train Station or Sapporo Minami IC.