Miyama town in Kyoto is a place which has spreading Japanese scenery where the thatched roof house which has the roof made from “Kaya (萱)” still remain. Especially in winter, there is fluffy snow on the roof which makes the scenery very fantastic. If you are going to Japan, why don’t you plan for a trip to Miyama, the place which has a lot of events and has the beautiful scenery in winter?
Fantastic snow and light up in Miyama during the winter season
"Yuki Toro at Miyama Kayabuki no Sato"
At traditional private house village, “Miyama Kayabuki no Sato” which located in Nantan city, Miyama town, the center of Kyoto Prefecture, there is a light up event which you can see the scattered light of the thatched roof house in winter. The traditional private house which already “Make up with snow”, are colored with the soft lighting of the lantern. During the event period, there are programs such as the making of snow lantern, or you can also watch the Japanese dance here. Besides, since there are warm foods sold at the lined up stalls, you can warm up your body by consuming these warm food. In addition, fireworks events are held on the first day and the last day, which also make the event more exciting.
In addition, "Kayabuki no Sato" holds fire classes twice a year in spring and winter, in order to check the condition of water cannon and give fire prevention lecture to the local residents. Many people visit this place to see the rare scene that the water discharge to the roof of the thatched roof houses.
- Spot name: Yukitoro in "Miyama Kabuyaki no Sato"
- Street address: Kita Miyama-cho, Nantan, Kyoto
- Take Nantan Municipal Bus from JR San’in Main Line “Sonobe Station” or “Hiyoshi Station”, and get off at “Kayabuki no Sato”.
- Direct bus from Kyoto Station
- Take “Miyama Nature” or “Sonobe/Miyama tour bus” which operated by and Keihan Kyoto Kotsu.
"Miyama Yuki Matsuri" which is recommended for you to join by adjusting your time and match to the schedule
"Miyama Yuki Matsuri" (Miyama Snow Festival) is held in February annually at the wide ground of “Miyama-cho Shizen Bunka Mura” (Miyama Town Natural Culture Village). There are many programs are held such as the snow slide, snow activities, competition of fast eating ice cream, made of rice cake and other events which can be enjoyed with families. Besides, there are many artworks are lined up which are the result of "Snow Sculpture Contest". Also, there are many stalls selling the gourmet which you can only find at Miyama, and it is crowded with lots of people. Admission fee of the festival is free.
Since Miyama is an area with a relatively high volume of snow, so it is safer for you to take some measures for cold prevention even you are taking public transportation, such as wearing shoes that are hard to get wet and not slippery. Please have fun and enjoy the snow scene at Miyama.
- Spot name: Miyama Yuki Matsuri (Miyama Snow Festival)
- Street address: 56 Shimomukai, Miyama-cho, Nantan, Kyoto
- Take Nantan municipal bus from JR San’in Main Line “Sonobe” Station to “Chimiguchi” Station, get off and take 5 minutes’ walk.
- Direct bus from Kyoto Station
- Take “Miyama Nature” or “Sonobe/Miyama tour bus” which operated by Keihan Kyoto Kotsu.