Strawberry in Japan is famous for its high quality. The price is expensive but it is safe to be eaten. In Japan, strawberry has been used by Japanese as a luxury thank you gift. In Japanese cuisine, fruits are treated as dessert as well. Recently, there are also foreign visitors who just visited Japan are placing order on these Japanese fruits from overseas. Today, let’s us explore together the charm of strawberry, which its fragrant to be used on varieties of products from perfume to dessert.
Difference between strawberry in Japan and strawberry in Southeast Asia and China
Strawberry in Japan is said to be more delicious as compare to other countries strawberry. If you compared them, you will notice that the strawberry is differ not only the taste, in fact the color and shape also different from other countries. Strawberry in Japan have the great balance of both sweetness and sourness, and famous with its big size. In recent years, strawberry in Japan are often exported to overseas, targeting the high-income foreigners market. There are also some sweet and delicious strawberry species in Thailand, which has been introduced recently.
How to select and choose a delicious strawberry and the best way to eat
The strawberry in Japan is fully colored until the operculum and is without spotted color. Besides, the strawberry is glossy and has fur on the surface. The operculum is in green color and firm. Remember to check the strawberry from the bottom part if you buying the strawberry in a pack. It is the best to be eaten after cooling it in a refrigerator for about 1 hour. Strawberry are the sweeties at the part of operculum, so is recommended to eat from the operculum part so that the sweetness can last longer.
Enjoy the cooking by using plenty of strawberry!
Ingredients: 2 slices of bread
- Whole wheat bread: 2 slices
- Strawberry: 4 – 8 pieces
- Nutella: Appropriate amount
- Spread Nutella on the toasted whole wheat bread.
- Put 3-5 sliced cut strawberry on the Nutella spread toast of No. 1.
Strawberry Ice Cream
Ingredients: for 4 to 5 serving
- Strawberry: 1 pack (270 g)
- Sugar: 80g
- Fresh Cream: 150 g
- Yogurt: 50 g
- 1/2 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Wash the strawberry and remove the operculum, and then use folk to smash the strawberry and stir it with sugar. (It is more delicious if the strawberry remained with some crumb)
- Stir the fresh cream until has foam.
- Pour the item no.1 and yogurt into the bowl which ready in no. 2. And then, add in lemon juice and continue stir it.
- Keep in zip locked bag and freeze in fridge. Remember to massage the bag to soften it every 1 hour. You can freeze it in a container also, in such case stir the mixture in every hour.
- Serve it in a bowl, and eat the ice cream when it starts to melt.
Strawberry plucking farms and visiting period
Area: Outskirt of Tokyo
- Period: January - May
- Farm: Izu Fruit Park
- Address: 181-1, Tsukaharashinden, Mishima-shi, Shizuoka Prefecture
- English inquiry available
Area: Outskirt of Osaka
- Period: January - May
- Farm: Kinokuni Farm
- Address: 1335-4 Ueno, Nada-cho, Gobo-shi, Wakayama Prefecture
- English Speaking Staff available: http://kinokunifarm.jp/melon/
- Tourist website: https://en.visitwakayama.jp/venues/venue_65/
Area: Outskirt of Fukuoka
- Period: Mid of December to End of May
- Farm: Lion Fruit Garden
- Address: 1478-1 Suita, chikuzen-cho, Asakura-gun, Fukuoka Prefecture
- Homepage is available in English