One of Japan's most popular foods is Okonomiyaki, but did you know there are 2 ways to make this dish? For Kansai-style Okonomiyaki all the ingredients are mixed while raw, but for Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki, they're actually placed one on top of each other instead of being mixed.
Let's take a look at how Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki is made! If you don't have a hotplate it might be a little more difficult, but it can be done in a frying pan. Why not try it yourself?
Hiroshima-style Okonomiyaki Ingredients (2 Servings)
- Flour（Weak Flour）40g
- Water 60cc
- Mirin Teaspoon x1
- Cabbage（Thinly Sliced）300g
- Green Spring Onion（Thinly Sliced）10g
- Bean sprouts 60g
- Yakisoba Noodles（Chinese Noodles）2 Sets
- Pork Back Ribs 80g（6 Slices）（Beef is also fine）
- Egg x2
- Dried Bonito Flakes（Around 2g）
- Tempura Scraps 20g
- Okonomi Sauce
- Yakisoba Sauce 20g
- Place 60cc of water in a bowl, add the mirin and flour, then mix well.
- Cut the cabbage into 2-3mm slices.
- Place the mix onto a hotplate at around 160〜180℃ for 8 minutes, and form into a circle with a radius of around 20cm.
Tip： Try to make the mix as thin as possible! Press the center down around 5 times before spreading to ensure maximum thinness!
- Sprinkle the bonito flakes, cabbage, tempura scraps, spring onion, bean sprouts, and meat over the mix. Then place a little more mix over the top of that.
- Raise the heat to around 200℃, place a little more raw mixture over the top, then flip.
- Heat up the noodles in the free space around the hot plate.
Tip： Cook until the cabbage becomes translucent! If you hold the mix with your 2 spatulas as you cook, you're able to cook the cabbage in the middle as well. Once the meat is cooked, lower the heat to 180℃ and cook the cabbage for a further 5 minutes.
- Place the yakisoba sauce over the yakisoba noodles, and heat while expanding to a similar size to step 6. Once step 6's cabbage is cooked, flip once more before placing the noodles on top.
- Crack and egg and shape with your spatulas into a circle. Once fried, place it over step 7.
- To complete the dish, pour some Okonomi sauce and sprinkle some seaweed over the top, enjoy!