Imo-mochi is a local food of Hokkaido. It is delicious with its original taste. You only need a potato and potato starch powder to make this dish and this is a perfect dish as a snack. You can also make plenty of it and keep in the refrigerator.
for 12 pieces Imo Mochi
- Ingredients to be prepared
- Three potatoes (300g)
- Potato starch powder
- 3 tablespoons of water
- Pinch of salt
- Appropriate volume of Seaweed
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of mirin
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of water
1. Put the peeled potatoes into a plastic bag and heat it in a microwave for about 6 minutes at 500 W until the potato is soft enough to be skewered by a bamboo stick.
2. Smash the potato from outside of plastic bag. It will be easier to be smashed if you used a rolling stick or the core of the wrapping paper to do it. Then, add salt, potato starch powder, and a little water into the plastic bag and knead until it becomes soft like an ear lobe.
3. Make the potato dough into a stick shape in plastic bag, open the plastic bag and then cut the potato dough into 12 equally size pieces.
The kneaded dough can be kept in the refrigerator. Wrap each dough piece in individual plastic bag and then keep in the refrigerator. When eating, you do not need to unfreeze. All you need to do is just bake it in a frying pan, heat it in a microwave oven, or heat up and eat together with soup.
4. Melt the butter in a frying pan and bake it well with medium heat. Flip the Imo mocha upside down, add sauce for coating, close the lid and bake for another 4 to 5 minutes with a low heat.
5. Open the lid and flip the mochi, the dish is ready after coating with sauce. Roll in a seaweed and serve.
6. Please refer to the video.