The Japanese firework-makers are among the most skilled in the world with many providing their works overseas. It’s not only a cultural event, but its artistic value has attracted many tourists who simply want to see a great display of the master works by the best firework artists in Japan.
So, here’s a list and a map of the major fireworks held in this year.
Hokkaido and Tohoku Area
Sendai Tanabata Fireworks Festival (Miyagi prefecture/5th, August )
With over 450,000 people attending every year, the fireworks at Sendai in Miyagi prefecture is one of the largest events in the Tohoku region. They amass a total of 16,000 fireworks within the 1.5-hour event where you’d see bright fire lights from all around you.
Spot name: Sendai Tanabata Fireworks Festival (仙台七夕花火祭)
- Time：August 5th, 2019(Mon) 19:30～20:30
- Place: Aoba-ku, Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture / Nearby Nishi Koen, Hirose River area
- Access: Approx. 3o minutes walking from JR “Sendai Station” West Exit / 3 minutes walking from Subway Tozai Line “Omachi Nishi Koen Station、10 minutes walking from Subway Namboku Line "Izumi Hirose Dori Station"
Omagari (Akita prefecture/31st, August )
Starting in 1910, the fireworks at Omagari in Akita prefecture has one of the longest history and the greatest number of attendance with more than 710,000 people attending every year. Not only is it a traditional event, but it’s also the venue for the annual firework masters’ contest where firework manufacturer from around the nation gather to display their masterpieces.
Spot name: Omagari Fireworks Festival/ 大曲の花火
- Time：August 31th,2019(Sat) Afternoon time17:15～/Evening time18：50～
- Place: Sendai, Miyagi Prefecture, Nearby Omagari Yumonogawa River “Omagari Fireworks” Koen/「大曲の花火」公園
- Access: Approx 30 minutes walking from JR Omagari Station.。※ JR Akita Shinkansen, Tazawako Line, Ou Main Line will be operated temporary (Finish at 24:00)
MOERE (Hokkaido prefecture/7th, September)
Held at the Moere-numa Park designed by the worldly renowned Japanese American landscape artist Isamu Noguchi, MOERE fireworks is more of an art event than a seasonal tradition, with music and fireworks synchronizing to paint a beautiful artwork in the night sky. It’s well worth a visit if you’re planning a trip to Hokkaido.
Spot name: MOERENUMA ART FIREWORKS/モエレ沼芸術花火
- Time：September 7th,2019 Starting at 19：30 ～
- Place: 1-1 Moerenuma Koen , Higashi-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido
- Access: Take a shuttle bus from Aso Station on the subway Nanboku Line South Lane # 6, Sakaemachi Station on the Toho Line Subway # 2 (in front of AEON)
Sumidagawa (27th, July )
Arguably the biggest fireworks event in Japan is held at Sumida River in Asakusa area. It is also one of the oldest ones taking place at the capital city with a history of 300 years, and attending the event means a lot to Tokyoites who look forward to this annual event. It is also one of the very few fireworks which get broadcasted every year.
Spot name: Sumidagawa Fireworks Festival / 隅田川花火大会
- Time：July 27th, 2019 (Sat) 19:0 ~ 20:30
- Place: The first venue: Sumida River, between Sakura Bridge ~ Kototoi Bridge, The second venue: Sumida River, between Komagata River ~ Umaya River
- Access: The first venue: Asakusa Station, Oshiage Station, Tokyo Skytree Station, Hikifune Station/ The second venue: Asakusa Station, Kuramae Station, Ryogoku Station, Asakusabashi Station.
Tamagawa (5th, October)
The second largest fireworks in Tokyo is the Tamagawa fireworks. In fact, it is one of the most popular events in Japan where more than 300,000 people watch. It is held at Tama River which divides Tokyo from Kanagawa Prefecture, and people from both sides of the river come to enjoy this greatest annual event.
Spot name: Tamagawa Fireworks Festival / たまがわ花火大会
- Time：October 5th,2019 (Sat) 18:00 ~ 19:00
- Place: 1-3-5, Futako Tamagawa Sports Ground, Setagaya-ku, Tokyo
- Access: Approximately 8 minutes by bus for going to Seijo Gakuen from "Futako Tamagawa Station" on the Tokyu Denentoshi Line, and get off at Yoshizawa bus stop.
Enoshima Fireworks ( 2019 event was canceled)
The fireworks at Enoshima is a great one in that it is held at one of the most popular beaches in Japan. Located just an hour away from Tokyo, the beaches of Enoshima has always been the Tokyoites favorite view for so long. With fireworks illuminating the Pacific and the small island of Enoshima, it is a very romantic way to end your summer.
This year, it is canceled due to the security, but they are now preparing for 2020. Don't miss it out!
Kanto and Chubu Area
Nagaoka (Niigata prefecture/2nd and 3rd, August)
The fireworks at Nagaoka in Niigata prefecture is one of the few events which lasts for two days. It is known nationwide for its beautiful 625-meter firework called the “Niagara”. In recent years, they have also incorporated dramatic music to it to add some theatrical elements.
Spot name: The Nagaoka Festival Grand Fireworks/長岡まつり大花火大会
- Time：August 2nd (Fri) & 3rd (Sat) 2019 Start from 19:20～
- Place: Chosei Bridge at Shinano River, Nagaoka, Niigata Prefecture
- Access:Approx 30 minutes walking from JR Nagaoka Station, Jōetsu Shinkansen
Suwako (Nagano prefecture/15th, August)
Starting in 1949, the Suwako fireworks held in Nagano prefecture is the largest exhibition of fireworks with over 40,000 beautiful flowers blooming in the night sky. It is also known for having the longest Niagara in Japan, a surprising 2,000-meter-long row of fireworks pouring down into the lake.
Spot name: Suwako Lake Fireworks Festival /諏訪湖祭湖上花火大会
- Time：August 15th,2019 (Thu) 19:00～
- Place: Kohan Park, Suwa, Nagano Prefecture
- Access:Approx 10 minutes walking from JR Kami-Suwa Station (Chuo Main Line)
TSUCHIURA ALL JAPAN FIREWORKS COMPETITION (Ibaragi prefecutre/26th, October)
Along with Omagari, Tsuchiura is also the venue for the annual firework masters’ contest where more than 700,000 viewers come to watch the 20,000+ fireworks shot out to the late summer night sky. Due to its location closer to Tokyo, there are more manufacturers from Tokyo taking part in this event so you’ll see the ultimate display of the best fireworks in Japan!
Spot name: Tsuchiura All Japan Fireworks Competition/ 土浦全国花火競技大会
- Time：October 26th, 2019 (Sat) 18:00～20:30
- Place: Nearby Gakuen Ohashi, Sakuragawa River, Sanoko, Tsuchiura, Ibaraki Prefecture
- Access:Approx 30 minutes walking from JR Joban Line (Tsuchiura Station), or 10 minutes by shuttle bus from JR Joban Line (Tsuchiura Station ).
West Japan and Kyushu Area
Yodogawa (Osaka prefecture/10th, August)
The fireworks at Yodogawa in Osaka prefecture is a unique one that is supported fully by volunteers. The event started in 1989 with only 3000 fireworks, but now it has become one of the greatest summer events in the Kansai region.
Spot name: Naniwa Yodogawa Fireworks Festival/ なにわ淀川花火大会
- Time：August 10th, 2019 (Sat) Start from 19:40
- Place: Shin Mido suji Yodogawa Tekkyo~ Kokudo 2-go, Yodogawa kasenjiki, Shinkitano, Yodogawa-ku, Osaka, Osaka Prefecture
- Access: From Ju-san Hall, approx 15 minutes walking from Tsukamoto Station ( JR Tokaido Main Line) and Ju-san Station ( Hankyu Kobe Line), From Umeda Hall, approx. 25 minutes walking from Umeda Station (Hankyu Line, JR Line and Subway Line)
Yume HANABI (Fukuoka prefecture/ 10th, August)
Although it may not be the most famous one in Kyushu, Yume HANABI has gained a lot of attention and props in recent years for its beautiful display and people talking about it over social media. They were voted the best fireworks in Kyushu last year, which means there should probably be more people coming this year.
Spot name: Yume HANABI
- Time：August 10th, 2019 (Sat), Starts from 19:45～
- Place: 444, Athletic Stadium, Ooho, Ogori, Fukuoka Prefecture
- Access:Approx 13 minutes walking from Ooho Station( Nishitetsu Tenjin Omuta Line)/ 19 minutes walking from Misawa Station ( Nishitetsu Tenjin Omuta Line ) / 20 minutes walking from Oitai Station (Amagi Railway)
Miyajima Water Fireworks Festival (Hiroshima prefecture/24th, August)
Miyajima Water Fireworks Festival is not just a fine display of the finest fireworks, but it’s also a great collaboration of the world famous red gate in the sea and the lights that illuminate the water surface. It would make a great day trip if you have never been to Hiroshima to look around town during the day, and enjoy the beautiful world heritage site with fireworks.
Spot name: Miyajima Water Fireworks Festival/ 宮島水中花火大会
- Time：August 24th 2019 (Sat) 19:30～20:30
- Place: Offshore from the O-torii Gate
- Access: Approx 6 minutes walking from JR Miyajimaguchi Station (Sanyo Main Line) , 10 minutes from Miyajimaguchi Sanbashi (Pier) with JR Miyajima route , and 10 minutes from Miyajima Gesen (Portship) .