Bungo Beef is the name for Japanese black cattle wagyu meat that has recieved a rating of 4 or above and been obtained from cattle raised within Oita Prefecture. It took first place in 1921 at Tokyo's livestock exhibition and has been known as very high-quality meat ever since. As 100 years approaches since it won this title, the name is planned to be changed to "Oita Wagyu" in the near future. In this article, we're going to be introducing some restaurants where you can try this delicious high-quality grade of meat.
This is a restaurant used for testing sales of new dishes. The interior has been created using Oita Prefecture-made materials and is a very high-quality and elegant space. You're able to order Oita Wagyu as well as pufferfish, Japanese amberjack with kabosu, Seki-aji, and many more delicious Oita Prefecture seafood items.
- 1-minute walk from the Tokyo Metro Ginza Line / Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line / Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line Ginza Station (Exit C1)
- 1-minute walk from the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line / Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line / Toei Subway-Mita Line Hibiya Station (Exit A1)
- Address: Hulic Square Tokyo, ３F 2-chōme-2-3 Yūrakuchō, Chiyoda City, Tokyo 100-0006
- Business Hours:
- Lunch 12:00〜14:00
- Dinner Weekday 17:30〜23:00
- Weekends 17:00〜22:00
- Holidays: Sun / Public Holidays / The first Saturday of each month / Obon / New Year's Period
- Fee: Oita Wagyu Sirloin Chargrilled (100g) 4,000 JPY / Oita Wagyu Fillet Chargrilled (100g) 7,000 JPY
- Credit Card Payment: Possible (VISA, MasterCard, JCB, AMEX, Diners)
- Tel: 03-3563-0322
Bungo Steak SOMURI Beppu
This restaurant has been in business for 32 years and uses delicious Oita Wagyu meat alongside various ingredients to help bring out all of the delicious flavors. They have a wide variety of wines which you can enjoy alongside your meal.
- Access: 6-minute walk from Beppu Station
- Address: 1-chōme-4-28 Kitahama, Beppu, Oita 874-0920 Kasaoka Building 2F
- Business Hours:
- Lunch 11:30〜14:00
- Dinner 17:30〜21:30
- The restaurant closed during dinner on Wednesdays. However, business as usual during the new year's period.
- Holidays: Mon / Wed during Dinner ONLY.
- Fee: Bungo Beef Fillet Steak Course (Small) 6,900 JPY +
- Credit Card Payment: JCB, VISA, AMEX
- QR Code Payment: au PAY, d払い、LINE Pay, メルペイ、PayPay,楽天ペイ
- Electronic Money: Suica, WAON, nanaco
- Tel: 0977-24-6830
The owner of this restaurant has over 20 years of experience in the meat industry and carefully selects each piece of meat that his store serves. The restaurant also provides the identification number for their beef so that you can see all of the information regarding it.
- Access: 10-minute walk from JR Oita Station
- Address: 1F 2-chōme-6-16 Miyakomachi, Oita, 870-0034
- Business Hours: Mon-Sun + Public Holidays 18:00 - 23:00
- Holidays: Irregular
- Fee: Oita Wagyu Large Set 16,500 JPY / Oita Wagyu Zabuton Wasabi Grill 3,280 JPY
- Credit Card Payment: Possible (VISA, MasterCard, JCB)
- Tel: 097-534-4129
Sazikiza Oita Miyakomachi
This restaurant serves many famous food items other than Bungo Beef such as Seki-aji and Seki-saba, Pufferfish, daggertooth pike conger, and much more seafood local to Oita Prefecture. All seats within the restaurant are private meaning you can enjoy a relaxing meal with your friends and/or family.
- Access: Head towards Miyakocho from JR Oita Station. Walk 200m from the entrance of Miyakocho, Hokke Club towards Pikaso Kaikan. It's on the first floor on the right side. Next to GIGA Kiseki Jungle Park
- Address: 2-chōme-6-13 MiyakomachiOita, 870-0034
- Business Hours: Mon～Sat、Public Holiday: 17:30～23:00
- Holidays: Sun
- Fee: Oita Wagyu / Bungo Beef Sirloin Chargrill 3,800 JPY
- Credit Card Payments: Possible (VISA, Master, AMEX, Diners, JCB)
- Electronic Money: Possible (楽天Edy, WAON, Suica, PASMO, nanaco, ICOCA, iD, QUICKPay)
- QR Code Payments: Possible (PayPay)
- Tel: 097-538-5558
- HP: https://sajikiza.owst.jp/en/
Oita Wagyu senmon Teppanyaki Steak Nanban-tei
This long-standing restaurant has been around for over 51 years and specialises in Oita Wagyu. You're able to eat the highest grade of Oita Wagyu, A5. If you sit at the counter, the owner of the restaurant will cook before your very eyes and meet your pace of eating to ensure you can eat the perfect meal.
- Access: Head towards Centporta from Jr Oita Station, go past Hokke Club, and take the 4th left, it should be on your left as you continue down that street
- Address: 2-chōme-4-25 Miyakomachi, Oita, 870-0034
- Business Hours: Mon〜Sun, Public Holidays + Day Prior to Public Holidays 17:00〜22:00
- Holidays: No Holidays apart from Obon and the New Year's Period
- Fee: Specially Selected Fillet Steak 13,000 JPY (Tax inc.) + More
- Credit Card Payments: Possible (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, Diners)
- Electronic Money: Possible (iD)
- Tel: 050-5368-5399
If you visit Japan, make sure to try Oita Wagyu at least once! It's delicious!
You can check out the Oita Wagyu official homepage at the link below, it lists many more restaurants where you can try this delicious cut of meat. Maybe there's even one close to where you're planning to stay!