Fujinomiya City is in the eastern part of Shizuoka Prefecture, 110 km from Tokyo and 288 km from Osaka.
Fujinomiya is known as one of the main starting points for climbing trips to Mt. Fuji, the summit of which is partly within the borders of the city. As with most of Shizuoka Prefecture, the area enjoys a warm maritime climate with hot, humid in summer and mild and cool in winter.
This article is an introduction to the features of Fujinomiya city and its charms.
1. Visiting Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha Shrine
The shrine which is located at the city, with several buildings and shrines as well as beautiful water features. Combination and culture and scenery was a photographer`s dream! Of course! You can view of Mt. Fuji clearly if the weather is sunny and no cloud covering the mount!
- Name: Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha Shrine
- Addess: 1-1 Miyacho, Fujinomiya 418-0067, Shizuoka Prefecture
- Operating hours: 6:00 AM ~ 7:00 PM
- Access: 10-15 minutes walking from Fujinomiya Station.
2. Visiting Mt. Fuji World Heritage Centre, Shizuoka
The building is located just a few steps from Sengen Taisha Shrine. Opened in 2017 to commemorate the mountain`s designation as a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The center boasts a viewing deck affording a great view of Mt. Fuji and variety of exhibitions pertaining to the volcano`s seismology, history and cultural significance. The building has an inverted conical form that reflects in the pond outside to reveal the shape of the iconic mountain.
- Name: Mt. Fuji World Heritage Centre, Shizuoka
- Address: 5-12, Miya-cho, Fujinomiya, Shizuoka Prefecture 418-0067
- Hours / Normal: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (July, August: 9:00 am - 6:00 pm)
- *Centre admission ends 30 minutes prior to closing
- *Closed / Third Tuesday of each month and facility inspection days.
- By Car
From the Shin-Tōmei Expressway Shin-Fuji Interchange: Approx. 10 minutes
From the Tōmei Expressway Fuji Interchange: Approx. 15 minutes
From the Asagiri Plateau Roadside Station: Approx. 35 minutes
3. Tasting delicious gourmets:
Yakisoba in Omiya Yokocho
Fujinomiya is famous by its gourmet, yakisoba. There are several shops of yakisoba, but I recommend the shop is located in Omiya Yokocho. The location is just in front of the Sengen Taisha Shrine, just cross the road and you will get there.
You can have a delicious soft cream directly from the farm: Makaino Farm (Makaino Bokujo)
- Name: Makaino Farm Resort (Makaino Bokujo)
- Address: 1327-1 Utsuno, Fujinomiya city, Shizuoka 418-0104
- Operating hours: 9:30～17:30 （November 21st ~ March 20th 9:30～16:30）
- Closing day: December 1st ~ March 20th every Wednesday
*About 30 min go straight west Fuji Road and National Highway 139 from Fuji IC on Tomei Express Highway(E1). （ Shin - Fuji IC on Shin - Fuji IC on Shin - Tomei Express Highway(E1A).
*About 40 min go straight National Highway 139 from Kawaguchiko IC on Chuo Expressway(E19).
*Tokyo sta. --- Shinkansen about 70 min
*Shin-Fuji sta. --- Fujikyuyamanashi bus about 60 min --- Makaino farm Resort
*Nagoya sta. --- bullet train about 90 min
*Kofu Sta. --- Fujikyuyamanashi bus bound for Fujisan Sta about 80 min ---
*Kawaguchiko Sta. --- Fujikyuyamanashi bus bound for Shin-Fuji Sta about 60 min --- Makaino Farm Resort
4. Attending seasonal festivals
Several big festivals are being held near the Sengen Taisha Shrine area and the center of the city.
- January: Fujisan Hongu Sengen Taisha no Hatsumode
- January ~ March: Sake Brewery Openhouse
- March: Fujinomiya Matsuri Taikai
- April ~ May: Sakura Matsuri
- May: Yabusame Matsuri
- June: Ume no Sato Inako Matsuri
- July: Miss Mt Fuji Contest
- August: Fujisan Kojinka Matsuri
- October: Asagiri Kogen Matsuri,
- November: Nobunaga Koko Matsuri, Yunosato matsuri, Fujinomiya Matsuri
- The biggest festival in Fujinomiya city is Fujinomiya Matsuri, which is being held in November instead of September. The street will be full of the people. They are dancing, singing and taiko battling.
5. Enjoying beautiful scenery:
Shiraito no Taki waterfalls
A clear waterfall of underground snowmelt from Mt. Fuji. The Shiraito Falls is listed as one of "Japan’s Top 100 Waterfalls", in a listing published by the Japanese Ministry of the Environment in 1990.The 200m-wide and 20m-high arc-shaped cliff with its hundreds of large and small waterfalls falling like many silk strings is a sight of feminine beauty and gentleness. There are many souvenir shops and restaurants in the vicinity.
- Name: Shiraito Falls
- Address: 273-1, Kami-ide Hara Fujinomiya City
- Operating hours: 8:30 ~ 16:30
- Parking fee:
Normal car 500 yen
Bus 1000 yen
Motorcycle 200 yen
By Bullet train/ Shinkansen:
Tokyo Station Shin-fuji Station
(Route) JR Shin-Fuji station 10 min by bus (Fujikyu) JR Fuji station Minobu line 20 min by train JR Fujinomiya station30 min by bus (Fujikyu-Shizuoka)
This waterfall is smaller and less popular than Shirataki waterfalls. But once you are entering the area, instantly you can feel abundant of minus ion. It is really fresh air and very nature.
- Name: Jimba no Taki (陣馬の滝)
- Address:529 Inokashira, Fujinomiya city 418-0108
By Bus 50 minutes by bus bound for Inokashira from JR Fujinomiya Station, get off at Onshoji Hostel Iriguchi
Feeling the nature at Asagiri Kogen Paragliding School
You can enjoy the charms of Fujinomiya nature from the sky by paragliding.
- Name: Asagiri kogen Paragliding School
- Address: Nehara 282-1, Fujinomiya-shi, shizuoka JAPAN 418-0101
From Tokyo: By Highway Bus (Chuo Highway) from Shinjuku Station West Exit
The perfect area for camping and viewing Mount Fuji.
- Name: Lake Tanukiko Camp Ground
- Address: 634-1 Saori, Fujinomiya, Shizuoka 418-0107
- Operating hours: 365 days
JR Tokaido Shinkansen bound to Shin-Fuji Station -> 7 minutes by bus to Fuji Station ->20 minutes by JR Minobu line to Fujinomiya Station-> 45 minutes by bus to Kyuka Mura -> Lake Tanukiko Camp Ground