Do you have any ideas of the night spots in the Tohoku region of Japan? Kokubuncho, which is located in Sendai of Miyagi Prefecture, is the largest night spot in the Tohoku region. There are myriads of popular attractions, restaurants and hotels.
Kokubuncho, located in Sendai of Miyagi Prefecture, is Tohoku's largest night spot. It flourished as a center of commerce in Sendai Castle town during the Edo period. Now there are many places where you can enjoy beautiful night view. In addition, restaurants and hotels here are also popular.
Highlights of Kokubuncho
There are many attractive places in Kokubuncho. They are popular among Japanese tourists and are also recommended to foreign travelers. We will introduce two of those here.
Sunmall Ichibancho Shopping Arcade
There are two side streets here. At night, the area is brightly illuminated by the beautiful lanterns and lighting in the street. You can experience the nostalgic feeling of Japan at night. There are many shops around, so we do recommend you shopping here.
- Spot name: Sunmall Ichibancho Shopping Arcade
- Address: Ichibancho, Aobaku, Sendai, Miyagi
- Access: 1 minute walk fromAoba-dori Ichibancho Subway Station
Sendai Astronomical Observatory
Here you can admire the planetarium. The production is so real and beautiful that it makes you subconsciously extend your hand to reach the starry sky. It will be a romantic experience which is perfect for couples too. Live performances are also held here.
- Spot name: Sendai Astronomical Observatory
- Address: 9-29-32, Nishikigaoka, Aobaku, Sendai, Miyagi
- Access: After getting off from JR Ayashi Station, it takes about 10 minutes by a bus heading to "Nishikigaoka"
Restaurants in Kokubuncho
Kokubuncho has plenty of restaurants. After having fun at the night spot, you would probably want to have dinner at a place with a beautiful night view. We will introduce some restaurants which have been reviewed as serving delicious menus and having great night view.
This is a Mexican restaurant with a long history. The night view from the window is beautiful. You can enjoy tacos and tortillas while listening to the live band performance.You can also savor some alcoholic drinks.
- Spot name: PEPE GONZALES
- Address: 3-1-3, Kokubuncho, Aobaku, Sendai, Miyagi
- Access: About a 2-minute walk from Kotodai Koen Station
This fancy restaurant is located on the 8th floor where you can enjoy a beautiful night view from the window. The restaurant's menu changes every month. You can enjoy a wine dinner here. The menu full of variety will for sure fulfill your satisfaction.
- Spot name: retro Backpage
- Address: 3-3-1, Kokubuncho, Aobaku, Sendai, Miyagi
- Access: About a 2-minute walk from Kotodai Koen Subway Station
Hotels in Kokubuncho
There are many hotels where you can stay in Kokubuncho. It will be perfect to relax at a hotel after having fun at the night spots. Here we will recommend 3 of those ideal hotels.
Sendai Hotel Johzenji
Sendai Hotel Jozenji is a business hotel that faces the Sendai's symbolic Jozenji-dori Ave and Tohoku's best downtown Kokubuncho-dori Ave. It is in close proximity to the subway station and the central area. Therefore, it won't cause you any inconvenience regarding having meals and shopping. It is a popular hotel that offers reasonable prices with many repeat customers. Please note that the hotel's name has changed from "Sendai Rich hotel Kokubuncho" to "Sendai Hotel Johzenji".
- Spot name: Sendai Hotel Johzenji
- Address: 2-14-25, Kokubuncho, Aobaku, Sendai, Miyagi
- Access: a 3-minute walk from Kotodai Koen Subway Station
This is a hotel close to the subway station. They use Simmons beds in their rooms. You can have a sound sleep and regain your energy by staying at this hotel. Buffet here has a good reputation of serving various delicious food.
- Spot name: Smile Hotel
- Address: 4-3-22, Ichibancho, Aobaku, Sendai, Miyagi
- Access: About a 2-minute walk from Hirose-dori Subway Station
Access to Kokubuncho from airport
It takes about 3 hours going from Haneda Airport to Sendai Airport, then about 30 minutes going from Sendai Airport to Sendai Station by the Sendai Airport Access Line. It then takes 3 minutes to arrive at Kotodai Koen Station by taking the Sendai Subway Namboku Line heading for Izumi Chuo at Sendai Station.