Fukuura Island is in Miyagi Prefecture. It is a spot comparable to Matsushima which has a superb view. It is characterized by a red bridge and rich nature. The recommended spots on Fukuura Island should not be missed.
About Fukuura Island
Fukuura Island is in Miyagi Prefecture. It is a spot comparable to Matsushima which is one of The Three Best Views Of Japan having a superb view. It is characterized by a red bridge and a botanical garden. However, it is necessary to pay an entrance fee of 200 yen for crossing the Fukuura Bridge.
Highlights of Fukuura Island
The highlight of Fukuura Island is that 250 varieties of plants such as camellias, maples and bamboos are grown naturally. Fukuura Island limited plants are a must see. Other recommended attractions are also worth seeing.
Fukuura Bridge is also known as the "Deai Bridge"(matchmaking). Three red bridges are connected to Fukuura Bridge from the Matsushima coast. Besides, other bridges include the "Enmusubi Bridge"(The Bridge of Matchmaking) of Godaido Temple and "Enkiri Bridge"(Bridge of Breaking Relationships) of Oshima Island. Here you can admire a very beautiful view.
- Spot name: Fukuura bridge
- Address: 39-1 Senzui, Matsushimaaza, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: About a 15-minutes walk from Matsushima-Kaigan Station
You can see some islands such as Kunoshima, Aonagijima, Kawausojima and Yakishima here. The sea seen from here is also beautiful. You can visit a Bentendo(Buddhist temple) or take a walk along a promenade nearby as well.
- Spot name: Miharashidai
- Address: Matsushima, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: About 50 minutes from Fukuura Bridge via a promenade
Restaurants in Fukuura Island
It is also exceptional to have a meal while admiring the spectacular views of Fukuura Island. Below are some recommended restaurants that is also for taking a break. It seems that their menus are selective.
Here you can eat oyster dishes. Set meals of oysters and oyster pot udon are hearty. If you come to Fukuura island, you should try an oyster rice ball once. The sea oysters and rice are perfectly matched. Zunda Ice Cream is also delicious.
- Spot name: Cafe Bayland
- Address: 39 Senzui, Matsushimaaza, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: About 1 minute on foot from Fukuura Bridge
Here, udon and soba are abundant. Especially oyster udon and oyster soba are delicious. Shrimp pilaf and curry udon are also popular. The atmosphere in the restaurant is as relaxing as that at Japanese ordinary home. The restaurant is located in Naruko Hot Spring which is quite far away from Fukuura Bridge.
- Spot name: Bashoan
- Address: 66-1 Baba, Naruko-onsen, Ohsaki-shi, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: It takes approximately 1 hour 15 minutes by car from Fukuura Bridge
Hotels in Fukuura Island
If you want to see admire the beautiful scenery for a longer time, we recommend you to stay at a hotel here. We introduce two hotels where you can feel the charm of Fukuura Island.
Here is a place where you can see the magnificent scenery of Fukuura Island and Matsushima. The hot spring is very good for the skin. You can eat dishes which use seasonal fish and vegetables. The rooms are of Japanese-style and beautiful view can be seen from the window.
- Spot name: Hotel Sohkan
- Address: 1-1 Hama, Isozakiaza, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: About 40 minutes from Sendai Station to Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Matsushima Century Hotel
This is also a hotel where you can overlook a gorgeous view. It is like being in a resort. The hot springs full of benefits here are also popular. The food served here has a good reputation because it is made with seasonal fresh ingredients. You can see the red Fukuura Bridge from the hotel's room which is by the sea.
- Spot name: Matsushima Century Hotel
- Address: 8 Senzui, Matsushimaaza, Matsushimacho, Miyagi-gun, Miyagi Prefecture
- Access: About a 10-minute walk from Matsushima-Kaigan Station
Access to Fukuura Island from airport
It takes about 3 hours going from Haneda Airport to Sendai Airport. Then about 30 minutes from Sendai Airport to Sendai Station by Sendai Airport Access Line. It takes about 40 minutes going from Sendai Station to Matsushima-Kaigan Station. Finally about a 15-minute walk to arrive at Fukuura Island from Matsushima-Kaigan Station.