The selling point of fruits which produced in Japan is the high quality of the products. The price is high, but it is safe. It is a “luxurious” life rooted in Japan culture where high-quality fruit is given as a gift from long ago. In Japanese cuisine, fruits are treated as ‘sweets’ or desserts. Recently, there are also foreigners who ordered Japanese fruits after returning to their country. This time, we will take pear, which is treated as dessert from its fragrance, as example to approach the charm of Japanese fruits!
Difference between pears from Japan, Southeast Asia and China
Japanese pear is round shape, while western pear is gourd shape with a slender upper big bottom. Furthermore, Japanese pear taste is different; it is sweet and sour and is crispy. Western pear is abundantly sweet and has a soggy texture. Chinese pear looks like a western pear at first sight, but the texture is crispy like Japanese pear. It's also juicy and very fragrant and rich in flavor.
How to distinguish delicious pears, way to eat it and how to preserve
Delicious pears have stretched skin and a solid shaft. It is plump and rounded and has weight. Peel the skin as thin as possible as the sweetness is near the skin. Cut the core part slightly bigger. Try to eat it as soon as possible when it’s still freshly cut. In order to prevent moisture from evaporating, you can wrap it with newspaper and place it in a plastic bag and store it for about a week in a refrigerator vegetable compartment, but since Japanese pears do not basically ripen, so eat as soon as possible.
Enjoy plenty of pear taste Cooking!
Ingredient (for 2 pax portion)
- Pear: 1 piece
- Vanilla ice: 1 pack
- Cornflakes: appropriate amount
- Mint leaf: appropriate amount
- First, divide the pear into 4 vertical pieces, then peel off the skin and remove the core. For another half portion, cut into the easy eaten size and for the remaining, grate into mince.
- Put on cornflakes, vanilla ice, easy eaten size pear in a bowl, topping it with the grated pear and serve with some mint leaf.
Ham Pear Wrap
Ingredient(for 2 pax portion)
- Pear: 1/2 ~ 1 piece
- raw hams: 8 slices
- Italian parsley: Appropriate amount
- Cut the pear, remove the operculum and peel off the skin.
- Wrap the pear with raw ham and serve on a plate, and then decorate it with Italian parsley.
It is delicious if you wrap together with some blue cheese.
Plantation where pear picking is possible and its season
Area: Suburb of Tokyo
- Period: August - September
- Farm: Nakagomi Farm
- Address: 2281-1, Iino, Minami Alps City, Yamanashi Prefecture
- English communication is available
Area: Suburb of Kansai
- Period: August - Mid October
- Farm: Grape and Pear Picking Farm
- Address: 1054-24, Kawaguchi, Aridagawa-cho, Arita-gun, Wakayama Prefecture
- English inquiry form is available
Area: Suburb of Fukuoka
- Period: August - September
- Farm: Kinoshita Pear farm
- Address: 875 Okino, Hikaw-cho, Yatsushiro-gun, Kumamoto Prefecture
- Speak in English slowly please!