In Japan, there are a lot of recommended sightseeing spots throughout the 4 season. There are some places which you can view the scenery of high and clear autumn sky together with the bright red color autumn leaves before the autumn leaves fall. Continued from the previous article, today we are going to introduce recommended 7 places of autumn leaves viewing in west Japan, from Kyoto throughout Kyushu, in which you are able to view the autumn leaves in Kyushu latest as compared to other areas.
Arashiyama, Kyoto Prefecture
Arashiyama, which is famous with many autumn leaves viewing spot, has many must visit attractions such as Togetsu Bridge, Torokko Train, and also the world heritage of Tenryuji where you can spend whole day for autumn leaves viewing. Also, during "Arashiyama Momiji Festival", many ships such as Imayou ship and Tenryuji ship are floating on Ooi River, which create the picture of the dynasty drawing. The best timing to view autumn leaves here is from end November until early December.
- Sightseeing spot name: Arashiyama (嵐山)
- Street address: Arashiyama, Ukyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto Prefecture
- by using JR: Approximately 10 minutes on foot from Saga Arashiyama Station;
- By using Kei Fuku Arashiyama Line: To get off at Arashiyama Station;
- By using Hankyu Arashiyama Line: To get off at Arashiyama Station, and the destination will be in walking distance from Arashiyama station
Eikando Zenrinji, Kyoto Prefecture
Eikando Zenrinji is known as “Momiji’s Eikando”, an old temple with a history of more than thousand years. Approximately 3,000 autumn leaves tree in Ikeizumi Kaiyushikiteien, and colorize Tahotou and Goeido, etc. Furthermore, the scenery of illuminated landscape during "Autumnal Exhibition" is worth viewing. The best period to view autumn leaves is from mid-November until end November.
- Sightseeing spot name: Eikando Zenrinji (永観堂禅林寺)
- Street address: 48, Eikando-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi
- by using Kyoto municipal bus: approximately 3 minutes on foot from Nanzenji Eikendo road,
- by using Kyoto municipal subway: approximately 15 minutes on foot from Kegami station
Nakasenbon, Yoshinoyama, Nara Prefecture
The mountain of Yoshinoyama is a world heritage, and the autumn leaves at the mountain is nicely colored, starting from the high altitude of Okushimoto area gradually until Nakasenbon and Shimosenbon. It is a good place for you to view autumn leaves while visiting shrine and temple such as Zaoudo, which is one of the world heritage. In addition, the panoramic view from the outdoor bath in Nakasenbon Garden is a scenery which you must not missed it. The best period to view the autumn leaves here is from early November until end December.
- Sightseeing spot name: Nakasenbon, Yoshinoyama (吉野山 中千本)
- Street address: Yoshinoyama, Yoshino-cho, Yoshino-gun, Nara Prefecture
- Access: By using Kinki Nippon Railway Yoshino Line: Take bus for approximately 10 minutes from the bus stop which is 2 minutes’ walk from Yoshino Station, or 10 minutes on foot from Yoshinoyama Station
Mino Waterfall, Osaka Prefecture
Mino waterfall, which located approximately 30 minutes from Osaka city, is one of the Hundred Japanese Waterfall Selection and also the scenic spot that Matsuo Basho and Oda Nobunaga, etc. visited in the past. Mino waterfall is visible after you pass through the tunnel with beautiful autumn leaves along the Mino River. The contrast of dynamic waterfall and autumn leaves is amazing which create magnificent scenery. Along the journey, you can find the famous gourmet, autumn leave tempura which is worth to try. The best viewing period is from mid-November until end November.
- Sightseeing spot name: Mino Waterfall (箕面大滝)
- Street address: Mino Park, Mino-shi, Osaka Prefecture
- Access: by Hankyu Mino line: 40 minutes’ walk from Mino station
Oyama, Tottori Prefecture
It is said that Oyama is the largest primeval forest of beech in West Japan, and also known as one of the 100 famous mountains in Japan. Once it comes to autumn, the whole mountain turns into golden which create magnificent scenery. The best period for autumn leaves viewing is from end October until early November, besides if your luck is good, you get to view the autumn leaves with the first snow fall at the same time.
- Spot name: Oyama (大山)
- Street address: Oyama, Oyama-cho, Saihaku-gun, Tottori Prefecture
- Access: by taking Japan Express Bus (Oyama Temple direction) from JR San’in Main line Yonago Station for approximately 55 minutes, and then get off at last station and take approximately 10 minutes’ walk to reach.
Miyajima/Momijidani Park, Hiroshima Prefecture
Miyajima Momijidani Park is located in between Itsukushima Shrine, which has the sea floating world heritage known as Otorii, and Miyajima ropeway station. Approximately 200 Momiji trees in the quiet park with the burning red color has created a wonderful scenery together with vermillion Color Bridge. The best period to visit for autumn leaves viewing is from mid-November to end November.
- Sightseeing spot name: Miyajima/Momijidani Park (宮島・紅葉谷公園)
- Street address: Momijidani, Miyajima-cho, Hatsuka-shi, Hiroshima Prefecture
- Approximately 5 minutes on foot from JR Miyajimaguchi Station
- By taking Hiroshima Electric Railway Miyajima Line: Approximately 1 minute on foot from Miyajimaguchi Station;
- Approximately 10 minutes by Ship from Miyajimaguchisanbashi, get off from ship at Miyajimasanbashi and walk on foot for approximately 20 minutes.
Takachihokyo, Miyazaki Prefecture
Takachihokyo is a cliff of about 80-100m in height with 7km length, and is designated as a scenic and nation natural monument. There are many myths and therefore is one of the power spot of Kyushu. You can enjoy the autumn leaves by a rental boat, which allow you to go further until Manai Waterfall to enjoy the picking of autumn leaves with plenty of negative ions. The best period to visit for autumn leaves viewing is from mid-November to end November.
- Sightseeing spot name: Takachihokyo (高千穂峡)
- Street address: Mitaioishioi, Takachiho-cho, Nishiusuki-gun, Miyazaki Prefecture.
- Access: JR: Approximately 50 minutes by car from Nobeoka Station