Have you ever had a hard time trying to cut the pumpkin into pieces? We'll teach you the proper Japanese way to cut the pumpkin into bite-sized pieces.
After cutting the pumpkin into quarters, place one quarter with the cut side face down and cut off the stem.
- Scoop out unnecessary fibrous strands and seeds in the center with a spoon.
- Place the pumpkin cut-side down again and pare patches of skin all over.
*Paring patches of skin will allow heat to pass through the flesh more easily while cooking.
- Place the pumpkin cut-side down again and, while putting pressure on the blade, cut it in half.
*Pumpkin skin is hard, putting pressure on the blade while gently moving the blade through the flesh makes cutting easier.
- Cut the halved pumpkin into approximately 3 cm pieces.
*Firmly holding the bolster of the knife will stabilize the blade while cutting.
- Cut the pumpkin into bite-sized pieces (roughly 2~3 cm in size).
How easy was that? This video is provided by leading Japanese cookery school, ABC Cooking Studio.
ABC Cooking Studio (English Classes):
Click here or scan the QR code to learn more!